View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:02 pm 
Hi

So Far I've been really happy with R8, so much in fact I decided to restructure my whole setup. So here is the setup. My goal is to use the R8 Frontend more with less.

Hardware WIse
R8 Master FE/BE - MythWelcome
Arch Server archlinux-2013.07.01-dual Running 64bit, Enlightenment E17- Storage via Samba
R8 FE - Watching Shows via Samba

The R8 Master FE/BE runs on the recording schedule so it is not on most of the time, it's independent and that's perfect.

This brings up an interesting trick. Normally without the R8 Master FE/BE , the R8 FE will get stuck in an endless loop that renders it useless.
However, running this command (Thanks JAMS :D )

Code:
set_windowmanager.sh enlightenment legacy

then rebooting

And I'm able to cancel out of the FE completely.

then

Code:
xbmc.sh

I can now see all my shows with XBMC and the remote works correctly assuming the Arch Server is up. And this is exactly more or less what I'm looking to do. But, it needs more automation to get the R8 FE going when the R8 Master FE/BE is shutdown and my Arch Server is up.

1.) set_windowmanager.sh enlightenment legacy
2.) Reboot
3.) cancel Mythfrontend
4.) xbmc.sh

Is it possible to ask this question at bootup "Do you want to start Myth Frontend?" Choose Y or N ....and then it keeps booting?

Last edited by RacerX on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:25 pm 
Site Admin
This is an interesting question.
Will the XBMC system still have access to the database? If so you could use mythinstall -Q "put question here"
But a database must be available.

If the DB is not available, then an alternate program would need to be written/used to accomplish the task. The main problem with the alt program is coming up with a consistent look and or not using a keyboard.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:05 pm 
Work flow wise
I use the Master BE\FE Mythwelcome to do all the heavy work - Recording, Commercial flagging, and Transcoding. When I have time I use Mythweb to move the programs for Storage to the appropriate sub directory on the Arch Server and rename them prior to saving. So I don't have to depend on Mythconverg other than the time when the shows are in process. Next, with XBMC I scan the directory on the Arch Server and update the episodes automatically just like Mythvideo scans.

This command helps

Code:
set_windowmanager.sh enlightenment legacy

when it restarts I click cancel and exit out of the R8 Frontend. This avoids the endless looping due to the availability of the Master BE\FE Mythwelcome, and the desktop appears.

then alt X

Code:
xbmc.sh 

and as long as the Arch Server is up I can see all the listing for my shows in XBMC Video with my remote. I don't even have to rescan all the shows are available.

Theoretically a a couple of ideas for a workaround
!.) Could the R8 Frontend time out after a certain number of tries or time and then close out and automatically return to the desktop in legacy mode?
2.) Would a copy the myth database locally increase available?
3.) Could the R8 Frontend ask the question Do you want to start mythfrontend? Y or N