View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:45 pm 
Greetings!
I'm running into a problem while trying to launch VLC as a menu option. Specifically, I added the following button:

Code:
<button>
       <text>VLC Stream</text>
       <action>EXEC /usr/bin/vlc http://172.16.64.255:8081 --fullscreen --global-key-quit Esc</action>
</button>

When this didn't work, I wrote a shell script to try and launch it. Then I thought that since the Myth Frontend was running under sudo, that I would need to impersonate a regular user:

Code:
su -c "vlc http://172.16.64.255:8081 --fullscreen --global-key-quit Esc" -s /bin/sh mythtv

I'm able to launch XBMC from within the Myth Menu, so the underlying functionality is working. I'm at a wee bit of a loss to figure this one out.

Any thoughts? The only other thing I could think of is that there is a list of authorize programs somewhere within the database or a config file.

Many thanks for any and all thoughts!
-Tim C.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:32 pm 
I'm confused as to what you are trying to open with VLC?
Is "172.16.64.255:8081" your house's IP address?
I'm no Linux expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:35 am 
timcough wrote:
When this didn't work, I wrote a shell script to try and launch it. Then I thought that since the Myth Frontend was running under sudo, that I would need to impersonate a regular user:

As far as I remember MythFrontend has never been run under sudo in LinHES by default.

I am assuming you tried your cmd from the term and it worked. Try pointing VLC to a file and see if that works instead of a stream, just to test.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:06 am 
mattbatt wrote:
I'm confused as to what you are trying to open with VLC?
Is "172.16.64.255:8081" your house's IP address?
I'm no Linux expert

Matt, this is a video stream from within my work's network.

brfransen wrote:
As far as I remember MythFrontend has never been run under sudo in LinHES by default.

I am assuming you tried your cmd from the term and it worked. Try pointing VLC to a file and see if that works instead of a stream, just to test.

Brfransen, I couldn't remember whether it was launched under sudo or not. It has been quite sometime since I was able to use MythTV and Linhes (actually, it would be more accurate to say knoppmyth in my case :) ). I will indeed try your suggestion and let you know how it works.

Thank you both for responding!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:30 am 
What is your point of access? 172.16.x.x is IP address space reserved for private (read internal) class B networks. If you are trying to access from your regular home network you are never going to connect since the address is behind a firewall. No public DNS server will list the site you want to reach. You would have to tunnel through your company's firewall using VPN or the like.

s

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:36 am 
sparks wrote:
What is your point of access? 172.16.x.x is IP address space reserved for private (read internal) class B networks. If you are trying to access from your regular home network you are never going to connect since the address is behind a firewall. No public DNS server will list the site you want to reach. You would have to tunnel through your company's firewall using VPN or the like.

s

Hi Sparks,

You are indeed correct, this wouldn't work from work to home or vice versa (without some very interesting routes, anyway). The entire MythTV infrastructure is at work. I'm using it as a simple management for display TVs in a couple different lobbies.

Does that make more sense? Any thoughts on how to get VLC to launch? :)

Thanks!
-Tim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:13 am 
timcough wrote:
Does that make more sense? Any thoughts on how to get VLC to launch? :)

Still not sure but if I understand you you are running myth on your company network. If so:

1) what dns are you using? IOW, are you using the company dns
2) Does the command work from the command line?
3) Does the command work using some public stream?

I'd start with these points to make sure it works for the general case and then move on to your specific stream, i. e. the lobby cams.
On second thought, since you are using an IP address, I guess the dns doesn't matter. Just the point of origin.

s

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:57 pm 
Now it makes sense.