View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:11 pm 
Well, sorry for the delay in responding. I tried to get the information you mentioned, @brfransen, but at the shutdown point, I was not sure how to find the pid responsible for the hang. The output of ps aux is in the attached tar file below. I ran the command and then shutdown. There were no pids or processes mentioned in the output that indicated what was causing the hang. I did see that the step which tried to exit all processes FAILED. Followed by a kill of open processes FAIL. Then it says something like runit shutdown and just hangs there.

I tried to login to another TTY at this point, but could not. So I hard restarted the system and then posted this message.

Anything else I can try?

Attachments
File comment: ps aux output
out.tar [30 KiB]
Downloaded 446 times

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:31 am 
I've just done the upgrade (used the script, it worked flawlessly, Thanks!) and have not had a chance to check the PID info. After the upgrade one of my machines still hangs on shutdown.

I don't know if these data points will help narrow it down, but...

Using remote shutdown via the health and maintenance web page or via exit menu on frontend:

Ion based machines with nvidia graphics have no problems shutting down, had no problems on 8.1 or 8.2.
Pentium based machine (Not sure if I ever got the intel graphic drivers working or not), hangs. (on both 8.1 and 8.2)

If I ssh into the Pentium machine and "sv stop frontend" , once the frontend stops, I can issue the shutdown (via health webpage) and the system shuts down.

Once I get some time to play with it, I will see if I can identify any PID info that might help.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:39 am 
twbutler wrote:
Well, sorry for the delay in responding. I tried to get the information you mentioned, @brfransen, but at the shutdown point, I was not sure how to find the pid responsible for the hang. The output of ps aux is in the attached tar file below. I ran the command and then shutdown. There were no pids or processes mentioned in the output that indicated what was causing the hang. I did see that the step which tried to exit all processes FAILED. Followed by a kill of open processes FAIL. Then it says something like runit shutdown and just hangs there.

On the first page someone posted they saw
Code:
[ 479.815699] INFO: Task runit:3786 blocked for more then 120 seconds
3786 is the pid of the process runit is managing and that may be what is blocking shutdown. If you are seeing that compare that pid to the psList to see if the same process is blocking.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:59 pm 
Just wanted to report that since going to R8.2 I no longer having a problem with the system not shutting down. I am however using the Hauppauge USB PVR and and not an internal card. I am using the Hauppauge remote but have it configured to use a "default" IR receiver which is internal to the PCHDTV HD-5500.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:46 pm 
OK, again, sorry for the wait. I tried your suggestion @brfransen. I saw the following output:
Code:
Info: Task runit:25560 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
Tainted P     0  3.13.7_2-ARCH #1

So I hard restarted the machine and grepped the psList file for 25560. However, that pid is not listed in the file. :(

I tried a second time and also could not find the pid.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3