View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:06 pm 
Hi guys,

After what seems like forever I got around to doing a job I'd intended to do for ages.

I took my LinHES pc out of its case and built it into a hidden cupboard. And it all worked. Well, for 10 minutes or so at least.

So, once the job had been completed I was able to turn the pc on and watch live tv.

Except then it crashed. I think it was a disk failure. To be fair, the OS drive was getting rather long in the tooth. So I took the opportunity to reinstall using an SSD I had lying around (with windows on it.)

All good. I've managed to tweak a few little niggles such as non-responsive remote too.

Except when I came to use the add_storage.py. I'd intended to use the --no_destruction switch, but made a typo. So I cancelled the operation. Now when I run the script again it says disks already skipped not adding them. How do I poke it to add these hdd?

Secondly once I've done this will I be able to extract the old db and regain my old recordings?

Thirdly, while I have rescanned for my tv channels and can watch live TV the programme guide doesn't seem to be updating itself, except on the channels I watch live tv on.

Also, I mounted my nfs share, but I now see all layers of /data/Storage/Central_nfs... and have to go through them to getto the videos. Why?

Any ideas for all of these little issues?

Kind regards

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:34 pm 
wrt add_storage.py, there is an argument to reinitialize the list of disks. i dont recall off the top of my head what it is, but if you do a add_storage.py --help you should see the argument. the list is stored in a text file, which is referenced in the script

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:49 pm 
Site Admin
Regarding add_storage the flag you want is --new_init
Code:
add_storage.py --new_init --no_destruction   

If a drive is already mounted or in fstab it will be skipped.
The list of known drives is not stored in a text file, but a python pickle file. Because of this you will not be able to edit it directly.

For extracting the old database, was there a reason the backup couldn't be restored?

For the TV Guide that sounds like your using EIT. That process needs a free tuner to visit every channel to get the updated information. When watching live-tv it takes that time to update the EIT data for that particular channel.

for NFS, can you expand on what you mean by you now see all layers? Are you referring to navigation within mythtv?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:58 am 
Hi Jams,

Thanks for the command for the add_storage.py. I'll give that a go presently. As for a backup of the old db, I didn't make one before it went belly up. Does it do this automatically now?

As for seeing the directory tree, previously when I had my nfs share mounted I could go to it through the menus. >Media Library>Watch Videos and all my movies would be there.
Now when I go to watch a movie, I go >Media Library>Watch Videos>Data>Storage>Central_NFS>Movies.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:33 am 
Site Admin
1) yes in R8 system backups occur on a daily basis

2) That sounds like the video root(in mythtv) is set to the top level instead of the actual directory that holds the videos. The central NFS screen only adds the nfs mount it doesn't adjust the mythtv configuration. At one point I thought about having it make the change, but it became to complicated so it was left alone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:00 pm 
1. Awesome. Am I right in thinking that the best way of doing that via the web interface? Or via the terminal? Are there any obvious things I need to do to identify the right backup file? Will this blow out my latest channel scan? Anything else I need to know?

2. Just find right menu setting to point at the video directory
I'll have a poke around and see if I can finds the correct menu setting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:08 pm 
Site Admin
for restoring the backup it doesn't really matter which method used, in the end they all call the same script.
The database files have the timestamp in the name, so it should be easy to identify them. Restoring a database will wipe out everything new you have done, channel scans videos..everything. Wouldn't be a bad idea to create a backup right before you start the restore.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:58 am 
Hi, thanks for the advice.

I was able to add my drives successfully. I just need to restore the old stuff.

On another note, I seem to be having some issues with the box freezing and the ir receiver being rather flaky. I'm wondering if my original problem was 'other hardware'... I will keep pluggin away at this and see how far I get.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:09 am 
So, I've looked at the physical discs via putty from my laptop and navigated to the old system partition. I look in backups/mythtv_backups and there appears to be nothing there. Looks like I'm out of luck with the backup, unless someone can clue me into where a backup might be hidden.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:32 am 
Site Admin
If it's an R8 system they will be in /data/storage/disk0/backup/system_backups

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:33 am 
Site Admin
disk0 would have ended up being your OS drive

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:39 am 
I mean the old system backup. I don't seem to exist