View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:51 am 
brfransen wrote:
Your P4 and the one I manage are very similar. Mine is a 3.2GHz so it is slightly slower. These are hyper-threaded CPUs so they are physically 1 core that appear as 2 to the OS. This box can record 4 and playback 1 using VDPAU with no problem but add in commflagging and it stumbles. I think this is more IO than CPU though. And it certainly doesn't help that the db is on same drive as the most of the media.

I had been successfully using this class of machine for HD until IBM 9229s became cheap on ebay ... :lol:
I found recording 4 playing 1 was a bit glitchy, so backed down to a rule of thumb of record 3 play 1 ... If I had more HDHRs, I'd allocate 3 tuners to each box ... :lol:
I was never able to prove I/O vs. CPU, so just sought a rule of thumb that worked ...
I have built a couple of boxes that use a small drive for the system, and a large one for the storage. They worked well, but I have a strange affectation in that I don't like to have multiple drives screaming their bearings out on one box ... hence my current standard is to put everything on a 1.5 to 2 tb. drive.

Quote:
So I figured xymon was squawking itself.
Possible. I just haven't seen that on my slower P4.

I might have overreacted to the alarming 'top' I posted several posts up.

Quote:
The newer Mythboxes are IBM 9229 running Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 / 2.40 GHz processors, which, I guess can be considered as 4 processors, and might be better at carrying other tasks than the P4.
The E6600 would definitely be much better but is not hyper-threaded just 2 physical cores.

Good to know. I read erroneous info somewhere that indicated it was effectively 4 cores. Running /proc/cpuinfo shows it's really only 2 cores.

Quote:
How much xymon ran, I didn't know, or whether it was crowding out Mythtv functions, but I did get that 'top' in the post above, and figured xymon is a diagnostic tool that only needs to run when you're diagnosing ... and the two Mythboxes running 8.11 were doing fine and didn't need any diagnosing ... :lol:
xymon is a monitoring tool that can be used for diagnostics but that is only one small part of it.

I'm interested in monitoring my testbeds, but the production boxes, I don't want throwing squawks or I hear about it from my 'users' .... :lol:

Quote:
My observation of the xymon page refreshing every minute or so, gave me the impression that it ran a lot.
That is just the webpage refreshing to see if the underlying xymon server has any new data. That load on the box is only there when the page is open.

OK ... didn't know how that worked.

Quote:
The xymon installation was the 'as installed' default from a new installation of 8.1.1.
Good to know and helpful in trying to determine if we have a bug, configuration issue, or if it is just a function of slower hardware.

I've found the best way to avoid aggravation is to blow away an old installation and do a fresh install. My next trick will be installing 8.1.1 on one of the [Myth .25] 9229's ... even though I'll be violating my rule about 'if it ain't broke- don't fix it !" ... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:22 pm 
Jams,

Just wondering why it reports orphans (and lists the backup names) when there are files create by the system upgrade in:

/data/storage/disk0/backup/mythtv_backups/

Just wondering?

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:55 pm 
Site Admin
Reporting as orphan because the official mythtv_find_orphans.py script reports them as orphan.

Was a little surprised to see so many people have orphan files. Mine has been running for over a year and it only popped up once, and that was for a zero byte file.
-jm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:20 pm 
I do get "real" orphans reported on occasion and they can be cleaned up using "find_orphans.py"
Those are remains of recording's

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:36 am 

Last edited by RacerX on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:54 am 
Anybody else get the disk squawked 'red' because autoexpire manages 'recorded programs' 99% full ?

Go to page Previous  1, 2