View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Flash, DRM, and HAL?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:07 pm 
Hello,
I''m trying to figure out why it is that Amazon Instant videos won't play and it seems to be related to DRM and the missing HAL. This is my next hurdle after upgrading all of my systems from 7.1. Of course, everything wass working nicely with Knoppmyth 7 so the WAF has dropped with this. is there anything straight forward to be done to install the hal.service on LinHES 8.1? I not wishing to get into needing to configure WiNEand such, as that never needed to be done before. I see a lot of posts elsewhere that talk about only needing to install hal and libhal, whatever those are. Is this something that is easy to add to the LinHES mix?

LinHES 8.4
HDHR3
BioStar A770, AMD X2 4050e, 2GB RAM
GigaByte GeForce 8400, Chaintech AV710
USB-UIRT

Post subject: Re: Flash, DRM, and HAL?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:55 am 
Since HAL was in R7.x it probably needs to be rebuilt for R8.x. Please open a ticket.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:32 am 
Ticket http://linhes.org/issues/970 was created.

LinHES 8.4
HDHR3
BioStar A770, AMD X2 4050e, 2GB RAM
GigaByte GeForce 8400, Chaintech AV710
USB-UIRT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:04 pm 
I am running LinHES 8.1 and just happened to see that brfransen had updated the repos with hal yesterday. I manually downloaded the files from the testing repo and installed it and I was able to get the Amazon content to play in chrome. I had to disable the built-in pepper flashplayer and run it on the Adobe 11.2 or whatever they had when they stopped supporting it. I may have had to manually start the hal daemon, but I didn't realize until after I had manually started it that I was using the wrong flashplayer. I will probably try again this evening.

Interestingly, there is some interesting news about being able to play streaming netflix on the latest chrome browsers in linux with html5 with one small workaround.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2687243/ ... -pain.html

The only caveat I see is that it requires NSS 3.16.2 or greater. I'm not sure what version we're on with LinHES [edit: Looks like we're on 3.15.1] or what it will take to update. It would be interesting to know if anybody has tried this yet. I do not currently have Netflix, but I do have Amazon Prime.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:35 pm 
knappster, thanks for reporting that hal is working with Amazon. You should be able to start hal with:
Code:
sudo add_service.sh hal
sudo sv start hal
I don't have Amazon Prime so I couldn't test.

I updated nss to 3.17 in testing a few weeks ago for the Netflix news but I don't have a Netflix account to test with either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:06 pm 
Thanks for the info. I did have to make a small change.

After
Code:
sudo_addservice.sh hal
I had to open /etc/sv/hal/run and change the path to hald from /usr/sbin to /usr/bin

Was:
Code:
exec /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=no --use-syslog 2>/dev/null >/dev/null

Now:
Code:
exec /usr/bin/hald --daemon=no --use-syslog 2>/dev/null >/dev/null

I just rebooted and verified that an Amazon Prime video started no problem. I appreciate your effort on the Netflix side as well, but I do not have an account either, so I probably will not try the nss and google-chrome updates required unless they send me a trial subscription. I hope that some of these services will be integrated more seamlessly into linux in the future...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:35 am 
The change of path for hald is needed in R8.1 but won't be needed in R8.2 due to the consolidation of /usr/bin and /usr/sbin.

Pulling the testing packages for google-chrome into R8.1 could be problematic as it needs some other certificate packages and various other packages updated to run.