View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:28 pm 
Hi all, I use my Linhes system a little differently than most I bet...... I don't record Tv shows on it Normally, But download them and copy them to the file system using a windows computer, do the scan for changes and watch the videos, so I use linhes more as a storage and playback system. But since Early R8 I have had issues with coping files to it and them disappearing after a power outage. the database says they are there but when you look at the file system they are not there....and have to be re copied to the computer. now if after copying the videos to linhes, I do a restart the computer from the main menu, and if the power goes out the files will be where I put them. I have tested this issue by: coping a file over, scanning for changes, and playing the file using myth, press the reset on the computer and then after myth boots back up the file is missing. Myth still thinks it's there but it is missing from the file system.

Question is:

Has there been a change to the file system that may not be storing file information when the files are created and that info is being cached instead?

Drives in question were added using the add_storage script.

Thanks for any help offered.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:48 pm 
First solution. Get a UPS. Trust me I know I live in Central Florida we are the lightning Capital of the US I live in an old neighborhood with overhead lines and lots of old Oak trees. Get a UPS.
Maybe this is helpful http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journaling_file_system
It could be that you are damaging sectors of your hard drive and the drive is just throwing them out as unuseable. You could try SpinRite to recover the lost sectors if this is the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:06 pm 
well I wish the issue was possible that a ups would fix, but I don't believe that is it, as I stated in the first post the system will loose files even after having watched them. I've also been having issues with the complete file system going missing, I restart my myth system from time to time as I don't like leaving things run when not in use, and I've had the second hard drive go missing also, well not the HDD just all the data. this is a new system and new drives, as I had been having this issue for a while on my previous myth system I figured I'd do an upgrade and kill two birds with one stone. so I replaced everything and it's still doing the same thing. so the least common denominator is linhes or me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:21 pm 
It would appear that your drive is getting corrupted as a result of a power failure. A UPS would provide an additional level of protection in the event of an power outage. Your lucky that you didn't lose the drives or seriously damage your computer. By the way check out XBMC it is really good for managing your files.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:13 am 
Site Admin
This is a concerning problem and one that I have not seen with a LinHES system.
My test systems get power pulled from them all the time without an ill-effect.

Whats interesting is that the OS drive appears to be unharmed but the data drives are the problem.
The main difference between them is that OS drives use ext3 and the data drives use XFS.

You could try reformatting the data drives with ext3 but i'm not for sure it will help as XFS really isn't that fragile.