View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:03 am 
I visited Schedules Direct this morning to renew and ended up with this being dumped into my lap.

Code:
TMS dropping Data Direct!!! But no reason to panic.

See the SD page for details but the crux of the matter (as I read it) is that subscribers will need to replace mythfilldatabase with their JSON grabber. I tried following instructions here
Code:
https://github.com/SchedulesDirect/mfdb-json/tree/API-20140530
but hit a snag when I tried to install composer. The command 'curl -sS https://getcomposer.org/installer | php' yielded this mssg:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env php
Some settings on your machine make Composer unable to work properly.
Make sure that you fix the issues listed below and run this script again:

The phar extension is missing.
Install it or recompile php without --disable-phar

How do I get around this on LinHES? Do I use some alternative? Truth be told I haven't done much (any?) research into this. I am just following instructions trying to avoid making yet another project out of watching TV. I just spent several days (and several cable company technician hours) trying to figure out and solve why I couldn't tune several encrypted channels I subscribed to. Turns out the cable card firmware was updated and started dropping the CCI copy-freely flag letting the CGMS Protection protected-copyonce flag take precedence. But that's another post.

=s=

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:16 pm 
From http://forums.schedulesdirect.org/viewt ... f=7&t=2577
Quote:
Greetings SD members.

Schedules Direct has been operating since 2007 to provide a stable environment for non-commercial media applications to receive TV listings data, but that does not mean things never change! :)

We have been informed that Gracenote (formerly Tribune Media Services) will be ending the guide data service currently used by most users of Schedules Direct. Their plan is to end support for this service on November 1, 2014.

Thankfully there is no need to panic, as Schedules Direct was already hard at work implementing a more modern JSON-based service using newer/better data feeds from TMS. This service offers the following improvements:

More efficient "differential" transfer method. You only download the data that changes. Mid-day updates are fast and efficient.
The ability to combine multiple source feeds into one output product.
Additional data fields, including:
"season/episode" numbering!
Images for cast, episodes
NFL Sunday Ticket Details!!!!
Completely custom lineups, including "Free to Air” Satellite
ability to share QAM tuning info
Additional International Lineups

This service is up and running now, and grabbers are available for MythTV and SageTV. We also encourage others to develop grabbers for their own applications.

In addition to the JSON service, a separate service is being developed to mimic the DataDirect feed. It's not ready yet but should be able to provide basic functionality for those legacy applications that can't move to JSON. It is expected to have most, but not all of the data currently in the Data Direct feed and will be updated daily. More details will be available about this later.

We can use this forum thread for the discussion.

Robert Eden
President, Schedules Direct

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:42 am 
I got around the phar problem. I wasn't difficult. I had to edit /etc/php/php.ini. I set these three lines thus:

Code:
extension=phar.so
extension=pdo_mysql.so
phar.readonly = Off
phar.require_hash = Off

These lines are not together in the file so you will have to search for them. They need to be uncommented and the values set appropriately if required. I then restarted lighttppd. I was then able to install Composer.

=s=

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:46 pm 
So has anyone else tried this? There seems to have been an update to the code on Sept 19th.
I created a bug for this item as Schedules Direct's deadline is November 1st. http://linhes.org/issues/978

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:15 pm 
I saw that the other day. On the mythtv website they are hoping to have a fix setup to make it seamless. Sounds like update to the latest mythtv and the rest sorts itself out.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Schedules_Direct_Replacement_Service

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:21 pm 
OK that doesn't look too promising. It looks like they are trying to shoehorn the old service to a new server. SD wants us to switch to the new JSON system which may be better all around. (they say it is)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:24 pm 
https://www.mythtv.org/news/163/Notice% ... ct%20users

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:22 pm 
The text of the above link. I'm assuming that this means everyone who updates to LinHES 8,2 will get MythTV 0.27.4?
Quote:
Notice to Schedules Direct users
As many of you will be aware, Schedules Direct are making some changes to their data feed. This is nothing to be alarmed about, as long as you update to the latest release of MythTV (0.27.4) everything will continue to work as it always has. There have been many scare stories and false reports in the last few weeks and we want you to know that all that is changing is the address of the server from which MythTV retrieves the guide data. This change has already been made and many people are already using the new address.

Unfortunately it seems this change was mixed with news of an entirely new JSON feed from Schedules Direct. This feed brings some minor improvements to the Schedules Direct service, but MythTV has decided not to use it at this time. An unofficial MythTV grabber was released by Schedules Direct for this new feed without consultation with the MythTV team. Please do not use this grabber!. It inserts data directly into the MythTV database, bypassing MythTV's ability to sanity check, correct and act upon information at a single point of insertion. We will be unable to assist users who run this grabber if they encounter bugs or broken features as a result.

So let me repeat, if you upgrade to MythTV 0.27.4 you will continue to use Schedules Direct with no further action required on your behalf. Do not use any of the other unofficial solutions such as the 'JSON' grabber from Schedules Direct.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:35 pm 
I was already running 8.2 so this morning I did a 'pacman -Syu'. Now I am not only running Myth 27.4 but also XBMC 13.2. So far so good. Just make sure before you run the 8.1 to 8.2 update script that you are pointing to core-testing and extra-testing in /etc/pacman.conf. :oops:

My hat off to the LinHES maintainers. I am running the most up-to-date software versions I can remember for several years of this project.

=s=

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:41 am 
So, is 8.2 really ready for use? Is upgrading to 8.2 the proper solution to the Schedules Direct change? Or is there something I should do while running 8.1?

LinHES 8.4
HDHR3
BioStar A770, AMD X2 4050e, 2GB RAM
GigaByte GeForce 8400, Chaintech AV710
USB-UIRT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:10 am 
opel70 wrote:
So, is 8.2 really ready for use? Is upgrading to 8.2 the proper solution to the Schedules Direct change? Or is there something I should do while running 8.1?
We are doing some final testing on R8.2 now. Upgrading with the script has been in pretty good shape for some time but the directory changes broke the iso install and upgrade process. jams recently fixed that up.

R8.1 and prior will need to use the /etc/hosts solution: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Schedules_D ... e_solution

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:22 pm 
I'm the kind of user that once I get it set up and working with my hardware, I don't touch it, save dusting it out now and then.
But this news comes in, I must act, and I really can't recall what version of linhes installed. How do I tell which version I have? I think I've been running this version for at least 2 years.
I see the /etc/hosts hack for the Sd server address, but I'd rather upgrade to .27 mythtv to get the permanent fix.
As far as update procedure, I can opt to do a clean wipe and install 8.2 (and re-do my recording settings), but if I want to go the upgrade route, where can I get some info on that procedure? Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:48 am 
drjenk, your options are limited to the version that you are running... Run "cat /etc/LinHES-release" at a command line to determine your version.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:26 pm 
So, I'm currently running LinHES 7.4 (I know, I plan on updating soon...) so I've implemented the etc/hosts "hack". Here's my question, though. Does anyone know what the difference is between what MythTV is recommending and what Schedules direct is recommending? Mythtv.org says to use this line:
Code:
54.85.117.227 webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com

Schedules Direct says to use this one:
Code:
54.85.117.227  docs.tms.tribune.com webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com

Obviously, it's the same IP, but SD has another address they're redirecting. Can anyone confirm that docs.tms.tribune.com isn't being used by MythTV?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:04 pm 
Myth has the DNS Name Compliant, just ping it by name.

Code:
54.85.117.227 webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com

The developers are putting a lot on work into R8.2. This is my first day with R8.2 in testing. Once R8.2 is released it's a good time to consider an upgrade...

Go to page 1, 2  Next