View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:49 pm 
nbdwt73 wrote:
drjenk, your options are limited to the version that you are running... Run "cat /etc/LinHES-release" at a command line to determine your version.

I'm running 7.4. Looks like I will do the hosts hack outlined here for now and upgrade when the 8.2 iso comes out.

This will be my first time upgrading using LINhes. Is there a way I can backup my recording settings (not necessarily the shows themselves), and import to the new system? Or do I need to do a complete wipe/install? I see there's a backup item in the linhes service menu. Does this backup the database to some location in the filesystem?

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:06 am 
You have a couple of choices... Since you are still on 7.4 you will have to either upgrade to 8.0 first (cannot go from 7.4 to 8.1 (or later) without the architectural change done in 8.0) or do a fresh install of 8.2. The developers have done a spectacular job at making the installs of recent releases work well - unless you have some complicated setups you can do a clean install and reset your settings manually... Of course, you will lose all recordings this way but it is easy and fast. I would also suggest that if you choose this method now would be a good time to do any hardware changes or updates...

The other option is to migrate to 8.0 (lots of info in the forums and wiki to do that) and maintain most settings and recordings. Then you will have to go from there to 8.2 (honestly I do not know if there are any issues with skipping 8.1 - haven't tried it. Perhaps someone else can comment on that one). If you choose this method I would suggest that you wait until the official 8.2 release (the host hack works fine for now...). Or you can get busy and do the migration to 8.0 or 8.1.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:48 pm 
I'll most likely bite the bullet and do a fresh install of 8.2 as I've been wanting to increase my HD capacity anyway, thanks for the information,
David J.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:28 pm 
drjenk if you go that route I would take the time to install 8.2 on a virtual machine and test restoring from backup. There is a chance that you may have issues and they are easier to work out in the virtual world.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:57 am 
According to this page: http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/ ... _R7X_to_R8
There is no way to upgrade to R8 from R7.X as an in place upgrade. Since I'm going to have to go through all of this to upgrade to R8, wouldn't it just make sense to wait until R8.2 is out and do it all then? Or should I just bite the bullet now and upgrade to R8.1 and then do a Pacman -Syu to get to R8.2?

Go to page Previous  1, 2