View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Lossless Cut?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:25 pm 
I'd like to remove commercials on my daughter's recorded shows and then transcode them using Handbrake on a different box that's a bit beefier than my combined FE/BE. It seems like a good way to go about this would be lossless cut:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Lossless_Cut

(using the Cut and Save option, which is non-destructive on the original recordings until I know I have a good transcoded copy)

As far as I can tell, it's not currently in LinHES - is it possible to get added, or is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Lossless Cut?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:25 pm 
That is really only needed if your recordings are h.264 from something like and HD-PVR. If your recordings are mpeg2 you can do this using the built-in myth transcoder.

First check your transcoder setting to make sure they are set for lossless. In mythtv-setup go to Recording Profiles --> Transcoders then in Autodetect from MPEG2 and enable the Lossless Transcoding option. You can do the same with any other transcoders you like. If you want the original file saved in mythtv-setup General go to Job Queue (Global) and enable the save original files after transcoding option.

In mythfrontend after you have marked your cuts open the menu and select Jobs --> Begin Transcoding --> Autodetect. Once it is complete I would find the recording in the /myth/recordings share from the other machine to feed it to Handbrake.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:17 pm 
I suspect you can get this working without too much trouble. I was able to download and compile the "mediainfo" tool.

The mkvtoolnix portion is available for LinHes, you can just install that using pacman:
Code:
sudo pacman -S mkvtoolnix-cli

The most challenging part is installing the lossless cut scripts, I've had to install those manually and I have not had time to test.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:36 am 
brfransen wrote:
That is really only needed if your recordings are h.264 from something like and HD-PVR. If your recordings are mpeg2 you can do this using the built-in myth transcoder.

Yup, these are OTA MPEG-2s from an HDHomeRun. Followed your instructions and they worked perfectly, testing on one file last night - thanks again! My daughter will be a very happy girl (and my wife will be happy with the saved storage space, which puts off hard drive purchases.)

bobmyth wrote:
I suspect you can get this working without too much trouble. I was able to download and compile the "mediainfo" tool.

Thanks, I was going to have a go at it, but was wary of things that didn't seem to be in the repos (like mediainfo) that would potentially break with future upgrades. It looks like the existing built-in functionality works fine for my purposes though.