View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:43 pm 
I hope I'm getting to the home stretch... My last issue with 8.3 is that the audio doesn't work thru the HDMI connector with ALSA. I've tried to install the OSS driver from the LinHES menu, but it gives me a repeating progress bar "Installing OSS" over and over. I let it go last night thinking maybe it would finish, but alas no. It's still repeating that progress bar.

This happened once before, and I had to reboot the system to get control over it. On the next reboot, it blasted all kinds of link errors for OSS packages during the startup phase. I'm reluctant to do that again. How do I properly gain control and figure out why OSS isn't installing on my system? I'm really at a loss with this distro. It's so different from anything I've used before that my normal tricks just don't seem to apply any more...

-- Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:32 pm 
I'm assuming that Alsa didn't work and that OSS was what worked on your last install?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:36 pm 
I have pushed an update to the oss driver. The old one didn't work with the kernel in R8.3.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:19 am 
I hate to say it, but things just keep getting worse for this motherboard. OSS didn't load -- it hung the system hard, in fact. After I rebooted (using the power switch, because I couldn't even SSH into it to shut it down, and it even ignored its power button interrupt), I attempted to load OSS again. This time it got to about 27% and bailed out. I tried to go back to the ALSA driver (not sure why, it wasn't working before) and now it doesn't detect the sound card. (Before it detected it just fine but no audio ever came out.)

To tell you the truth, I'm ready to just pitch this motherboard in the trash and try this other one. I acquired an AsRock Q1900-ITX which looks like it may fit the bill. It has quad-core Celeron with built-in Intel HD graphics, supports USB 3.0 and the newest SATA and maybe, perhaps, works. But that last isn't a given.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:38 am 
That sounds like an ACPI power problem. What board do you have?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:32 pm 
RacerX -- The board is an old Zotac mini-ITX board. It has an AMD dual-core processor coupled with extremely rare nVidia 8200 onboard graphics. I got it to work under R7.4 but R8.3 was too much for it. With help from you and brfransen I finally got the video working, but by that time I realized the HDMI sound wasn't working. Add to this the board wouldn't talk to my latest Samsung Spinpoint 2TB disks and it's lack of 1GBps networking and the board was headed for the discard pile.

The AsRock Q1900-ITX is working out much better. It has USB 3.0 and gigabit LAN, is based on the quad-core PASSIVELY COOLED Celeron J1900 processor, and features Intel HD graphics and sound. I have everything working perfectly except..... the graphics driver doesn't recognize the chipset. The Intel driver is installed, but during X start it says the chipset isn't recognized so it doesn't initialize accelerated graphics.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:12 pm 
I had to do a fresh install recently. I installed 8.3 and had it perform system updates. If I go to Service Menu -> LinHES Settings -> Audio and tell it to install OSS, it acts like it's installing it but it doesn't work.

In that same screen, the Default Device is "No cards found, try loading the OSS driver" I tried rebooting and that didn't help.

Output of ossinfo:

Code:
No /dev/mixer device available in your system.
Perhaps Open Sound system is not installed or running

I have been running earlier versions of LinHES so I know that the physical installation of everything is OK. In earlier versions I had to use OSS for audio to work. I tried using ALSA with my fresh install and I am not able to get any audio but it does identify some audio devices.

I'm new with Linux and LinHES. Is someone able to offer some advice? Is there a log file I can look at or a command I can run that will help? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:27 am 
There was an update to fix this a few days ago but it is still in testing. Basically the soundon cmd to start OSS needs make gcc and binutils to install correctly. sudo pacman -S gcc make binutils

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:07 pm 
@brfransen That did the job. I have audio now. Thanks for the help.