View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:47 am 
What is the best way to add video files to MythTV if you're using storage groups? For instance, I have 2 HDDs, and one of them is pretty much full while the other is pretty much empty. I was hoping that storage groups would eliminate me needing to manage where the files are stored. However, I see now that when I connect via smb, everything is still separate.

Also, I have everything organized into folders (ex: video/TV Shows/Archer/Season 1/). If I was to add a folder called "TV Shows" to the second drive, will I see two "TV Shows" folders when I'm navigating videos on the fronted, or does MythTV know to merge the contents of the two folders?

I'm just wondering how I should be managing videos under this new paradigm with the least amount of effort. I can always go back to what I used to do: symlinks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:23 pm 
To clarify you are talking about videos and not recordings right?
It depends on the view you use in the video section and maybe the theme you are using.
I'm running the LinHES 8.31 theme and I'm using list view in Watch Videos. I see all my directories on separate drives as separate menu items in "Watch Videos".
Go to Media Library>Watch Videos> then push menu button or "m" > Change View> Hide Directory Structure. This shows individual video files no matter which video directory they are in a long list. It is an all or nothing thing, use directories and manage two drives or lump all your videos together.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:56 pm 
Looks like I'll be managing them manually. In fact, I really don't like how storage groups work for videos. Oh well.

I added some content on the other drive, and now I have multiple "video" folders when I go to watch videos. I think I'll remove one of the drives from the storage group and just go back to symbolic links.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:22 pm 
I'm assuming that you are recording shows as well. If one drive is full and the other isn't make sure you have the "Storage Group Disk Scheduler" set correctly. I thought mine was set correctly until I read the Wiki. :shock: So now you go read the wiki and see what fits your needs best. This of course assumes that the video directory is in the same partition as the recordings. https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Setup_Stora ... _Scheduler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:16 pm 
Thanks for the heads up. I freed up some room on the one drive because the new maintenance system was whining. I'm actually thinking that I'll do a bit more re-arranging so that the free space is about equal on both drives.

For recordings, storage groups seem great. For videos, they seem a bit incomplete. I'd love to just be able to add storage and then not have to worry about what files are where on each drive. Maybe someday...