View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:36 pm 
Not sure why my systems have thrown core dumps, but just in case you run into the following, here is how to correct it.

Just upgraded to the latest 8.3 from the previous version of 8.3 via the check for upgrades/install upgrades and then rebooted my system by pressing the menu button and selecting reboot.

On one of my slave backends, everything booted as normal, but no front end, when I ssh into the box the root partition is full. Turns out there was a huge core dump file the jumped me from my normal ~50% to 100% full. Once I deleted the dump file no problems, everything came up normal.

On my other 3 boxes, similar issue, except I went to 99% full and the systems booted normally. Checking the Health and Maintenance web page the three drives were showing red.

So to find and delete the files:
Code:
su

Code:
cd /var/lib/systemd/coredump

Code:
ls -lhta

The files are hidden, so they should start with
Code:
 .#core

So to get rid of them
Code:
rm .#core*

Hope you don't run into this, but if you do, hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:30 pm 
You can modify this behavior in /etc/systemd/coredump.conf and you already know how to delete the coredump files... now why are you experiencing them in the first place? That is another question.
Code:
[Coredump]
Storage=none

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:40 am 
Thanks Graysky!
I've updated all of my systems, so should not run into this problem again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:09 am 
I think Grayskys point was why are you getting coredumps? Just deleting them is like putting tape over the "check engine" light.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:04 am 
I understood his point. Since I could not replicate the issue with multiple reboots, after initial reboot required with the last upgrade, I choose to believe it was an anomaly, and posted the first post for any other poor SOB who may run into a similar issue.

My systems are only used for LinHES and because I don't have the skill set necessary to investigate the core dump further, I choose to "mask the light". To save myself future issues, I've chosen to stop core dumps as pointed out by Graysky.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:33 am 
Your not the only one with coredump files at issue. I get during shutdown once and a while. It hangs the shutdown. In my case I think it has something to do with commercial flagging. When it happens and I usually have to hold the power button to get it shut down correctly. It's not a consistent thing it just happens once and a while. I thought about turning off commercial flagging but it does not happen all that much.

Fore example, on Friday I watched an NBA game that had some problems in the second or third quarter where the video would blank out for a second or two and then come back on just like commercial flag and when the commercial did come the flag was way off I had to rewind a couple to minutes to see what I missed. Sometime around this at shutdown coredump and had to hold the power button to get it to shutdown. Once this happens the problem goes away;