View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:06 am 
Old system disk gave up after fifteen years of service. :roll: It failed without any SMART errors or other warnings. Not able to mount it on another system to regain any files. Sounds like mechanical failure. New disk installed and LinHES reinstalled without issues. Then I discovered that the second disk where all the media files and backup are, does not mount. Not sure how I should add it. I want to avoid a situation where the new, empty, installation starts backing up, overwriting my actual backup, so I figured I should ask here first before doing something I regret. :wink:

Thanks for any pointers or step by step instructions,
/Chris

FE2: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, AthlonX2 4850E 2.5 GHz, 1GB, ASUS GEFORCE 7200GS 256MB
FE3: Asus Eeebox410

Last edited by cahlfors on Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:04 pm 
Have you tried mounting the disk with another Linux like an Ububntu live disk or whatever flavor you desire?
Also have you tried running SpinRite on the first disk that failed? https://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm It is really expensive but if it doesn't work Steve will refund your money.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:11 pm 
I managed to find a somewhat recent backup on a different system and restored the db through the web interface. Now is the question: How do I restore the rest of the stuff. Manually, per the Wiki, but it does not say how. I understand that I need to use
Code:
tar xvzf backupfile something somehow

What is the exact command to restore everything else?

Thanks,
/Chris

FE2: Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H, AthlonX2 4850E 2.5 GHz, 1GB, ASUS GEFORCE 7200GS 256MB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:40 pm 
It turns out that the restore process is quite cumbersome, so here is what I did in case someone else runs into the same predicament.

1 Make a fresh install on a new disk to replace the crashed one.
2 Use add_storage.py with the proper switches (use --help!) to include the old media disk without destroying it.
3 Restore the database from (webmin) the health & maintenance web interface.
4 Extract the backup archive in an easy to reach location, such as the backup directory on the primary hard disk:
Code:
as root: tar xvzf backupfile

5 Extract the home directory within the backup archive (archive within the archive) the same way.
6 Boot into a live distro, mount the primary hard disk and copy /etc and /home as root and let it overwrite existing files. I ran into permissions issues trying to do this, so I ended up installing Krusader (a file manager I like) into the live distro and running it as root (tools, run as root).
7 Use the disk utility of the live distro to figure out the UUID of all the partitions of the system disk (LinHES has an awful lot of partitions) and update /etc/fstab accordingly.
8 Restart the LinHES system.
9 Hopefully all went well and you may now get to the most important point: Congratulate yourself with a well deserved, cool beer! :D

All it took was a month or so of frustrating work to figure this out! :shock:

Cheers,
/Chris

Last edited by cahlfors on Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:23 am 
Chris, sorry I didn't see this before. Glad you got it going. Here are a couple notes that might have saved some time. Doesn't help you now but maybe will help someone else in the future.

- Usually I restore the DB before running add_storage.py --no_destruction that way the storage groups get updated with the new paths if they have changed. But this can be a catch 22 as the backup for the DB may be on one of the disks that want to add back to the system. To make sure all your SGs are right you can use add_storage.py --reconstruct_sg that was added with R8.4 and it will make sure all your SGs are in the DB and the directories exist on your drives.
- To restore the DB I use the Health & Maintenance link rather than webmin as it is installed by default and it also does the work of creating the DB as needed. You can upload the backup you want to use or manually place it in /data/storage/disk0/backup/system_backups/ and it will show up in the drop down list.
- Copying all of /home and especially /etc from the backup can create alot of issues and is why we don't automate this. This can be even more problematic if you are restoring from unlike releases of LinHES. It is much safer to only restore selectively your modifications.
For the most part the only things you should need to restore for /home are your custom ~/remotes and ~/templates if you defined any, the ~/.mythtv/channels directory and any other scripts or files you may have stored there.
Restoring all of /etc can create an unbootable system as well as possible sound, remotes and add_storage.py issues. For example, when it overwrote /etc/fstab all the work that the install and add_storage.py had already done was undone.