View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Author Message
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:32 am 
Offline
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:04 am
Posts: 58
Location: Victoria, BC
I had lots of fun during this upgrade! I love LinHES (and KnoppMyth before that) - despite trying other flavours over the 11 years I've been running MythTV - I've always returned to LinHES because it's my favourite!

Things mostly went OK - but my system (Total Running Time: 10 years 8 months 8 days 13 hrs!) started acting odd and when I finally realized what was happening, my boot drive had failed. It hadn't been running well and the backup hadn't completed, so my recovery was created from what I could get from the dead drive and a 2 day old backup.

I started placing my custom modprobe.d and channel change scripts (etc...) in the correct spots and by the middle of the week, it started running well. I had some issues with database permissions (that may be related to my new issues). After the change to the new drive - I had to adjust several copies of config.xml to point at localhost rather than my previous local IP address - otherwise, database access errors occurred (in some places). I couldn't seem to make everything work by adjusting the MySQL permissions.

Anyways - I noticed yesterday that the myth_mtc hasn't been able to run for a day or so (despite running once or twice after the middle of the week). A quick look at MySQL shows that there were inuseprograms, despite everything reporting as completed or the recordings in question already deleted. I thought I'd leave it alone and we started watching a movie last night and the mythbackend would occasionally restart - I had a look and the load was in the hundred's!

I shut down mythbackend and manually cleaned up the database (removing the inuseprograms entries) - and after a few mythbackend restarts, it seemed to return to normal. The myth_mtc cron script ran OK overnight and the load dropped down to an acceptable level. All week the CPU/load graph has been covered with very high spikes, which I don't recall experiencing before the upgrade (although I lost most of my historical data...).

Then this morning - I see the load is creeping up again. One thing I noticed - myth_status.py is continuously (every few seconds) popping up in top, owned by root and showing a new PID each time. I'm not sure what is causing that - so I temporarily stopped it by renaming myth_status.py, otherwise the number of PID's was getting HUGE... Once I did that - once again the load seems to level off.

Sorry for the rambling story - I'm still battling this and thought I'd try to document it here, as I continue to investigate.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:06 pm 
Offline
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:04 am
Posts: 58
Location: Victoria, BC
Since I renamed myth_status.py, there have been no CPU/load spikes or mythbackend restarts... See the attached image:

Image

I'll have to investigate more when I get a chance - but I'm just happy that it once again is usable and working!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:23 pm 
Offline
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:12 pm
Posts: 993
Location: SC
Your config.xml issues could be part of the issue. By default LinHES tries to symlink /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml and /root/.mythtv/config.xml to /usr/share/mythtv/config.xml so if you change 1 you change all. But if you are missing the root one or it isn't a link but a separate file that would be a problem. That said I am not sure what could be firing myth_status.py every few seconds. That is only suppose to fire on a session login.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:54 pm 
Offline
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:04 am
Posts: 58
Location: Victoria, BC
brfransen wrote:
Your config.xml issues could be part of the issue. By default LinHES tries to symlink /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml and /root/.mythtv/config.xml to /usr/share/mythtv/config.xml so if you change 1 you change all. But if you are missing the root one or it isn't a link but a separate file that would be a problem. That said I am not sure what could be firing myth_status.py every few seconds. That is only suppose to fire on a session login.


Thanks.

Yeah - I don't recall ever changing or adjusting the config.xml until mid-week (when I was having the DB authentication issues) and the last time I recall setting DB credentials they were in my.cnf!!

When I looked at my semi-working system earlier this week - I found config.xml files in the various places and read on MythTV how they functioned. At that time - there were no symlinks, just several versions of the files with slightly different <Host> values.

I'll adjust things (and add symlinks) and see what happens. I may have some of the files from the failed drive that I can compare to... I never found a smoking gun about the myth_status.py firing so often... That sure seems related to my extremely high loads.


Top
 Profile  
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 


All times are UTC - 6 hours




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Theme Created By ceyhansuyu