View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:45 am 
In the middle of watching a recording and the video froze on screen. Could not find a way to break it free so I hit reset and the system started to reboot. The system booted normally until the first few lines of Linux code.
Code:
Initramfs unpacking failed: junk in compressed archive

History / Information
Have corrected all the errors on the hard drive.
Original 400 GB hard drive was replaced using a cloning program to a 2 TB drive one year ago.
Have been running this build for over two years now. With updates it is now sitting at LinHES 8.4.1
Will boot with LinHES 8.4.1 disk
Will boot with any boot disk.
Motherboard is a Biostar TF7050-M2 with on board NVIDIA GeForce 7050PV that uses shared computer memory.
4 GB of RAM

From what I can find so far this is a issue with the shared memory not being reported correctly.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

What I was reading from the problem above is that the memory available was not subtracting the memory (250 MB) used by the shared video so total memory available was short.
I wanted to destroy the equilibrium of this memory issue so I added 2 GB of RAM (6 GB total) and tried it. got farther this time.
I had "touch /forcefsck" wrote to the hard drive using a boot disk and it stopped there.
Code:
Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-uuid/a7cd198-ect....
ERROR: device 'UUID=a7cd198-ect.... not found. Skipping fsck.
ERROR: Unable to find root device 'UUID=a7cd198-ect....
You are being dropped to a recovery shell
     Type 'exit' to try and continue booting
sh:can't access tty: job control turned off
[rootfs /1#

Just to verify using Gparted reported that UUID=a7cd198-ect.... is partition /dev/sda1/ with a boot flag.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

tried to boot again (6 GB RAM) this time with no "touch /forcefsck"
Code:
about 3 minutes of this message scrolling across the screen with the ????? number increment up.
** 15 printk messages dropped ** [  223.277652] swap-dub: Bad swap file entry 00008000

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Anybody got any suggestions to fix Grub?

As last resort
I can backup the files in /dev/sda7/
Reinstall LinHES 8.4.1
Copy back the backup of /dev/sda7/
use restore to reinstall system information.
Will this work or do I need more data saved?
Is Grub saved in any of the backups?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:39 am 
I don't think the grub stuff is backed up other than what is in /etc. Mostly because it really has to be recreated as UUIDs change.

I was going to suggest just doing an Upgrade install from the ISO. The upgrade only overwrites sda1 and won't repartition or touch the other partitions. But the part about swap gives me pause. If your swap partition is corrupted (sda2) I wouldn't expect the Upgrade to fix it. You could try booting from the ISO, mounting sda1 and editing the fstab and comment out swap just to see if you can get it to boot. Then you could reformat the swap partition or just add a swapfile to the system. This all assumes you trust the drive. If you don't then get the data off sda7 and reinstall and restore like you suggested.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:46 am 
Thanks brfransen for your response.
I thought I would post a follow up. One of my 2GB Corsair DDR2 Memory was in the process of failing (over time). Some of the prior symptoms where showing up in the last couple of months. At the time I was getting a lot of artifacts in one or two recordings from time to time but I was pointing the finger at one of my two pcHD3000 capture cards that are now over 10 years old. Two weeks ago my transcoding jobs that would normally take 3 minutes where taking 30 minutes or longer so I ran MemTester on it over night and had no errors. This time was different lots of errors in the first 10 seconds.

Corsair if suppose to have lifetime warranty on there DDR but you need proof of purchase / invoice. .I got lucky and found the original invoice for the memory in an old email. I mailed it off. time will tell if I get anything out of this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:17 am 
I mailed of my detective Corsair DDR2 RAM for warranty and had a new set back in 6 days. Can't complain about that.