View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:15 pm 
This latest drop of LinHES & constituents has reintroduced an old annoying secondary problem for my rig.

Primary: MythFrontend playback freezes (Nvdia/X/MythTv issue)
Secondary: Attempting to restart the frontend, creates a zombie process that take 100% of a core and locks up the system.

So far this secondary behavior is 100% (2/2) on this drop:
LinHES-config 8.4.3-7
LinHES-system 8.4-25

I was able to recover with once with out rebooting by attempting to killing processes until to zombie frees up the core. Looking for help in figuring out the scripts or constitutes that changed to narrow down conflict.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:43 am 
Just had two more freezes. The workaround to fix the restart issue is:

1. sv stop frontend

2. Watch & Wait - One of the frontend processes jumps to 100% Cpu on one core. Around1 to 2 minutes after issuing the stop command, the front end process terminates making they system responsive again..

3. sv start frontend

Note these commands shoud be performed on a non x terminal since everything on x fill be effected

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:32 am 
Since 8.6 mythfrontend lockups and restarts have been an ongoing issue with the side effect of 100% CPU usage when performing a restart if even possible. I have stumbled onto a set of steps that recovers from the mythfrontend freezes in a matter of seconds vs minutes without the 100% CPU usage side effect.

After a mythfrontend freeze during playback:

1 Alt-X to bring up a terminal
2. sudo sv stop alsa-utils
3. wait a few seconds
4. sudo pkill tilda
5. sudo pkill mythfrontend

I believe after the freeze the nivida driver is putting the sound and x services in a bad state. The tilda application and perhaps the LinHES.sh script can not reset the needed resources. When an sv restart is attempted, a continuous series of connection attempts to access the hardware occurs, thus pegging the CPU. The resource eventually becomes available or the machine becomes totally locked up and has to be restarted vi the reset button.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:30 pm 
I stopped using vdpau and switched to OpenGPL. Once I stopped using vdpau no more lockups.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:14 pm 
I continue to use vdpau with kodi as my frontend on my LinHES machine. I do not experience any nvidia driver issues like I did with mythfrontend. If kodi locks up for any reason, I have a button on the remote to kill it and then I launch it again. I have been extremely satisfied with this setup since it seamlessly incorporates other streaming add-ons as well (PBS Kids, Food Network, Netflix, Amazon Prime). Granted, there can be periods of time that some of these are down since they are maintained by the community and the backend services can change at any time.

Kodi 18 is supposedly the last one to support vdpau, though, so I am not clear what nvidia support will be like when they release Kodi 19.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:57 pm 
still using mythfrontend...still having freezes...but i found a restart hack that is quick

Code:
pkill mythfrontend
pkill mythfrontend

At least for now, this sequence seems to fix the lockup race condition that the sv stop is causing. Minus the time needed to login, the frontend returns in a a few seconds. I have used this directly on the frontend when locked via ctl-x terminal shell and it does work there as well as mythtv if you sudo the pkills and get both commands in before the X goes way.