View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:41 am 
Hi All,

I am unable to record shows or watch livetv because the system says 'All tuners are currently busy'. We are able to view of previously recorded programs and watch them. There are two additional strange behaviors in the system.

First is that the system cannot start, stop, or restart myth-backend. When these options are selected in the LinHES menu, the message that the command could not be execute appears. I don't know the command to manually start/stop/restart the myth-backend, so I am unable to provide additional output information.

Scratch this comment, it is incorrect 'Second is that in the LinHES web interface, the 'Health & Maintenance' page is blank (i.e., all white).'

These errors started when a family member attempted to connect to the backend from a desktop on the local network running mythtv-frontend 0.27.

I am guessing that perhaps the database has been corrupted and needs some maintenance.

Suggestions on next steps for resolving these issues will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by drhood on Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:50 am 
Since you are not getting a OSD message that it can't connect to the backend and you can play recordings it seems like the backend is running. Open mythtv-setup and double check that the IP addresses didn't get changed and see if your tuners are still listed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:56 am 
brfransen wrote:
Since you are not getting a OSD message that it can't connect to the backend and you can play recordings it seems like the backend is running. Open mythtv-setup and double check that the IP addresses didn't get changed and see if your tuners are still listed.

Thanks for the reply. I did solve the problem and the Health and Maintenance link in LinHES webpage played a critical role.

The Health and Maintenance page had a red dash indicating something was wrong with that component. I then checked the mtc log accessible at LinHES webpage --> System --> Logs --> 2017-11-22 --> linhes_myth_mtc.log.

At the bottom of the log the message appeared.

Code:
Problem cleaning inuseprograms in database

I realized 'inuseprograms' is a data table in the database and theorized that it might be corrupted.

So, I looked for a command to fix or repair the mythtv database. I found a LinHES forum post, Missing Table in which the command, optimize_mythdb.pl, for repairing the database is mentioned.

I executed the optimize_mythdb.pl command in the terminal on the LinHES system (frontend+backend) but nothing happened. I then searched for the location of the optimize_mythdb.pl script.
Code:
locate optimize_mythdb.pl
/usr/share/mythtv/contrib/maintenance

I then changed directories and executed the command.
Code:
cd /usr/share/mythtv/contrib/maintenance
perl optimize_mythdb.pl

I repeated the above commands with sudo and it seemed to work just as well.

I then noticed in the LinHES forum post linked above another script that might have also worked and saved me the step of changing directories, which is optimize_mythtc.py, which is located in /usr/LH/bin.

I rebooted the system and the busy tuners message did not appear and ability to watch live tv snd record shows restored.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:32 am 
If you want to use a graphical inter-phase to optimize database go to Health and Maintenance page "http://192.168.xxx.xxx/xymon/ and click on your backend host name on the far left of the page. Click the dot "optimize database" and press go.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If you want to see what table crashed go to myth web "http://192.168.xxx.xxx/mythweb/ " Click on the Key & Wrench "MythTV Settings" at the top of the page and then click on the "Database" tab on the far left of the page. Give it 10 to 20 seconds to open because it is running a scan to tell you the condition of each table. Then choose one of the three options at the top of the page to repair.

If you install Myth Browser Main Menu/Service Menu/LinHES Settings/Programs/page 1 Check Myth Browser box.
Then go to Main menu/Information Center/Web
Then use the menu button "m" on your remote to setup your bookmarks for Myth Browser.

Category: LinHES Systems
Name: LinHESmbe Repair Database
URL: http://192.168.xxx.xxx/mythweb/settings/database

Right now I have five different commands setup under the LinHES Systems Category. Your IR remote will get you to the Repair Database page and you can scroll up and down looking for crashed tables but you have to use a mouse to click the repair option. This will work even when the backend is recording and dos not seem to cause any disruption to the recordings. I have the wife use this one when I am 400 miles away from home.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If things are really bad and nothing else functions go to Webmin (if you have it installed) .
Webmin seems to run when everything else is locked up or blank screens.
Example if you have a full hard disk partition 1.
Webmin's file manager will run so you can delete the unwanted files.

go to "Others/Custom Commands" and
setup a command called "Optimize Database" and point to /usr/LH/bin/optimize_mythdb.py
or
setup a command called "Optimize Database Enhanced " and point to /usr/share/mythtv/contrib/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl

.py or .pl I am guessing they do the same thing. Like the buttons "Optimize Tables" "Repair Tables" "Extended Check" If anyone can tell me the difference please post.
I have 20 different command created under Custom Commands so I don't have to look things up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:13 am 
TVBox wrote:
If you want to use a graphical inter-phase to optimize database go to Health and Maintenance page "http://192.168.xxx.xxx/xymon/ and click on your backend host name on the far left of the page. Click the dot "optimize database" and press go.

If you want to see what table crashed go to myth web "http://192.168.xxx.xxx/mythweb/ " Click on the Key & Wrench "MythTV Settings" at the top of the page and then click on the "Database" tab on the far left of the page. Give it 10 to 20 seconds to open because it is running a scan to tell you the condition of each table. Then choose one of the three options at the top of the page to repair.

If you install Myth Browser Main Menu/Service Menu/LinHES Settings/Programs/page 1 Check Myth Browser box.
Then go to Main menu/Information Center/Web
Then use the menu button "m" on your remote to setup your bookmarks for Myth Browser.

Category: LinHES Systems
Name: LinHESmbe Repair Database
URL: http://192.168.xxx.xxx/mythweb/settings/database

Right now I have five different commands setup under the LinHES Systems Category. Your IR remote will get you to the Repair Database page and you can scroll up and down looking for crashed tables but you have to use a mouse to click the repair option. This will work even when the backend is recording and dos not seem to cause any disruption to the recordings. I have the wife use this one when I am 400 miles away from home.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
If things are really bad and nothing else functions go to Webmin (if you have it installed) .
Webmin seems to run when everything else is locked up or blank screens.
Example if you have a full hard disk partition 1.
Webmin's file manager will run so you can delete the unwanted files.

go to "Others/Custom Commands" and
setup a command called "Optimize Database" and point to /usr/LH/bin/optimize_mythdb.py
or
setup a command called "Optimize Database Enhanced " and point to /usr/share/mythtv/contrib/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl

.py or .pl I am guessing they do the same thing. Like the buttons "Optimize Tables" "Repair Tables" "Extended Check" If anyone can tell me the difference please post.
I have 20 different command created under Custom Commands so I don't have to look things up.

Thank you for this instructions. It is a great tip. I followed the tip and discovered another database table that had crashed. The repair option fixed it.

Cheers!