View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:32 am 
I decided it would probably be a good idea to update to 8.5 to get to the latest mythtv version, so I got a new hard drive and used clonezilla to clone my existing hard drive. It would not boot, presumably because the MBR was not properly configured, but instead of manually trying to repair it, I just ran the LinHES upgrade from the disk. Everything seemed to perform well, but there were a couple things that I found needed to be corrected manually after the upgrade.

1) It looks like there should be a symlink from /myth to /data/storage/disk0/media and it was not created automatically, so I did it manually.
2) Mythweb password did not work. On the frontend I had to go into LinHES Settings, Web Security. The password was already entered and correct, I just had to save it and then I could access mythweb again.
3) My nemesis, Mythwelcome is not shutting down. In fact, either the backend or mythwelcome appears to have locked up. The backend log has a flood of these messages:
Code:
mythbackend[7669]: N Scheduler scheduler.cpp:3331 (CheckShutdownServer) CheckShutdownServer returned - Error 127

Time to investigate...

More to come.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:26 pm 
After running
Code:
mythwelcome-config.py
mythwelcome appears to be shutting the system down properly.

I had playback freeze once already, though... It looks like an issue that has been reported before, but I have not seen a resolution yet. Will keep looking...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:30 am 
I stand corrected. Mythwelcome shutdown the computer as it was supposed to, but it did not wake up...
Quote:
edit: It is not waking up from
Code:
sudo /usr/LH/bin/mythwelcome-test-wakeup.sh
either...

Also, Wake On Lan is not working, so I am digging into that as well.
Quote:
edit: It looks like this may have something to do with it: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wa ... er_support.
Code:
ethtool -i eth0
reports the driver is alx. I tried using the patch installer from: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=61651 but there are git, patch, and dkms dependencies and dkms is not in the repository. Any suggestions on this patch? Could this be related to the other wakeup issue?

Last night I had to make a few updates to my lircrc configuration file. It looks like some button names were changed during this transition:
"|<<" became "PREVIOUS"
">>|" became "NEXT"
"<<" became "REWIND"
">>" became "FOWARD"(sic)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:13 pm 
I was away for a few nights, so I let mythwelcome shutdown the system automatically with a wakeup scheduled for the next morning. It never woke up automatically and only started up when the power button was manually pressed. I notice that the file
/etc/adjtime
appears to be changed when the system shut down last. I also notice that:
/etc/rc.shutdown
has a line:
Code:
[[ $TIMEZONE ]] && status "Configuring time zone" set_timezone "$TIMEZONE"

and so I am wondering if the hardware clock is being set on shutdown after the alarm is set and that is breaking the wakeup alarm.
Is there a way to disable this function in Arch? There is a section on the mythtv wiki, but I don't see anything that crosses into Arch:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup ... ck_updates

This is the same hardware (besides HDD) that i used in 8.1 where the wakeup was working flawlessly, so I don't think it a bios setting. Is there anything else that I can look at which may have changed and affected ACPI wakeup?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:24 am 
Just to be sure that my bios didn't get reset disconnecting power when changing out the HDD, I powered up the 8.1 system again and ran then same
Code:
sudo /usr/LH/bin/mythwelcome-test-wakeup.sh

8.1 wakes up find.
8.5.1 never wakes up.

There is a file called /var/log/wake_alarm which contains the following for 8.5.1:
Code:
rtc_time        : 03:50:16
rtc_date        : 2017-12-27
alrm_time       : 03:54:16
alrm_date       : 2017-12-27
alarm_IRQ       : yes
alrm_pending    : no
update IRQ enabled      : no
periodic IRQ enabled    : no
periodic IRQ frequency  : 1024
max user IRQ frequency  : 64
24hr            : yes
periodic_IRQ    : no
update_IRQ      : no
HPET_emulated   : yes
BCD             : yes
DST_enable      : no
periodic_freq   : 1024
batt_status     : dead

and the following for 8.1:
Code:
rtc_time        : 13:47:19
rtc_date        : 2017-12-27
alrm_time       : 13:51:19
alrm_date       : 2017-12-27
alarm_IRQ       : yes
alrm_pending    : no
update IRQ enabled      : no
periodic IRQ enabled    : no
periodic IRQ frequency  : 1024
max user IRQ frequency  : 64
24hr            : yes
periodic_IRQ    : no
update_IRQ      : no
HPET_emulated   : yes
BCD             : yes
DST_enable      : no
periodic_freq   : 1024
batt_status     : dead

Can I assume that this is written to the BIOS when the log is created? If so, then they appear to be identical besides the dates/times which obviously would be different since I can't test them simultaneously. So is there a way to figure out what is canceling the acpi wakeup on 8.5.1?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:33 pm 
I was able to get wake-on-lan working. I downloaded the dkms patch automatic installer from this site:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=61651
Using this link:
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=255097
It downloaded alx-dmks-installer.tar.gz

I extracted using
Code:
tar -xvf alx-dmks-installer.tar.gz

when I entered the folder to run setup, it ran into dependency issues.

As I mentioned previously, it wouldn't install with git, patch, and dkms. I installed git, patch, and linux-headers from the linhes repository using pacman, but dkms was not available. So I downloaded the arch package 2.5-1:
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/dkms/

using the following link:
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extr ... /download/

using wget resulted in the file index.html so I renamed it to: dkms-2.5-1-any.pkg.tar.xz
I installed it using:
Code:
sudo pacman -U dkms-2.5-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

Then I was able to run setup for the alx dkms module installer with no problem and wake on lan was available after a reboot and it worked after I turned it on with
Code:
 sudo ethtool -s eth0 wol g

It also seemed to be persistent throughout reboot. Still no improvement on mythwelcome wakeup, though. FYI, this motherboard is:
ASUS M5A78L-M LX3