View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:24 am 
Does anybody have commercial flagging configured in such a way that it has been very reliable? I am currently recording shows in HD OTA with HDHomerun and I feel like in the past several years I just haven't been able to find settings that I trust. It seemed like there was a time where I would have trusted commercial flagging enough to cut out commercials and transcode videos, but no matter what settings I choose if I set it for strict commercial detection it will regularly miss commercials altogether or miss parts of a commercial or on the flip side if I turn strict detection off, it there will be a dark scene where it will detect a commercial a minute before it begins and/or jump a couple minutes too long after the commercial has ended. If anybody has a configuration that has worked well for them, particularly on OTA networks, I would like to know what you are using and see if it could improve my detection.

I have typically been using the All methods. When I was using R8.1 I had strict detection on and it still seemed to overshoot commercials when there were a lot of dark scenes in the video. In R8.5.1 it seemed that it was not detecting commercials that it would have before so I turned strict detection off, but it felt like it is too aggressive now. Maybe I'm being too critical, but I thought that a long time ago it worked better and I don't know whether it is my settings or just that the TV networks are getting more devious.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:05 am 
I think the TV studios have been inserting frames of black in random places to thwart commercial flagging software. Also sometimes there are National commercials and local commercials.