View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Kodi 18.0a1 alpha
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:03 pm 
I've built the source code for Kodi 18.0a1 in LinHES, however, most videos I launched on my production machine would cause a segfault when I tried to run them with hardware acceleration enabled (VDPAU). I briefly tested Netflix and Amazon VOD, neither of which caused segfaults, but the video playback was choppy and/or out of sync. I did not try either with hardware acceleration disabled. I have reverted back to Kodi 17.6 for the time being.

Kodi is compiled with an internal version of ffmpeg
For Kodi 17 this is 3.1
For Kodi 18 this is 3.4

My next step is to build Kodi 18 without the internal version of ffmpeg and see what happens if it runs off of 3.2.2 which is in LinHES. Hopefully I will be able to test again this weekend. I am basically just shooting in the dark, but I think it is worth trying. While I can't find any supporting information, I suspect that it is related to my hardware and nvidia driver (GT210 with 304 legacy drivers).

If someone else desperately wants to try it in the meantime, I can upload the package, but it's at your own risk (even more than usual).

Post subject: Re: Kodi 18.0a1 alpha
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:32 am 
I have confirmed that even with my Geforce 210 if I upgrade to the 340 legacy drivers that hardware acceleration works with Kodi 18 alpha. It is either the 304 drivers in general or a combination of the 210 graphics card and the 304 legacy driver. For the time being, this is a no go for me, since there are mythtv frontend intermittent issues with the 340 driver. I think my long-term solution may be to get a newer graphics card like a GT 710 that uses newer drivers and will be supported longer.

If anybody is interested in trying out 18 alpha I am willing to share the binaries required for it and netflix + amazon viewing. Now that I've gotten it all to work, I'm a bit disappointed with the performance of the DRM playback. I think maybe it is using software decoding instead of hardware decoding...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:25 pm 
Just an FYI Amazon prime video and Netflix both work in chrome browser on my new build. You do have to pull out they keyboard and mouse but the Logitech K400 is an awesome media center keyboard and trackpad combo.
My Current System:
Lenovo M92P SFF
Intel Core i5-3570 8GB
Sandisk X100 128gb SSD
1TB 7200RPM SATA HDD
Intel HD Graphics
HDHomeRun DUAL Model: HDHR-US

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:07 pm 
I have trouble getting chrome to launch consistently:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24713

I ordered a gt 710 today to try a current nvidia graphics driver for both kodi and chrome. I will report back on my progress.

Coincidentally, I was stoked when I saw the web on linhes netflix option. However, the issues launching chrome and the keyboard requirement were both setbacks. Kodi seems to have a lot of promise... I would be in heaven if I could use my Logitech harmony 700 remote for everything, but the fire stick I use for netflix and prime is rf and bluetooth only and the remote is ir.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:39 pm 
Not to completely de-rail this thread but...... Your fire TV problem got me thinking and I found this device that claims you plug the USB into your fireTV stick and it will receive IR signals for you. It's made to use with that remote pictured but it says it works with Harmony.
I'm wondering if it's a worthwhile receiver for LInHES?
https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-Receiver ... merReviews

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:00 am 
Interesting... I may have to try that out. I had tried using my LinHES box to send adb commands to the fire stick over the network, but I couldn't get it to work reliably.

I'll probably kick the tires with Kodi 18 alpha again after I get the GT 710. If I try out the receiver you linked, I will create a new post in the off topic forums for it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:50 pm 
I've just installed the GT 710 video card and upgraded to the latest nvidia drivers. I've reinstalled Kodi 18 and tested Netflix, Amazon, MLB TV and a couple of addons in their stock repository and everything appears to be working well right now. I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but there is a chance I've found the pot of gold under the rainbow. I still need to update the PVR addon to test out mythtv on it. I am willing to share the binaries if anyone is interested, but I don't know that I have retained the step by step directions required for getting netflix to work on it (I think I can get close, though).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:17 pm 
I see that Kodi18 alpha 2 has been released. I have been using alpha 1 pretty much daily for Netflix and Amazon prime as well as streaming videos from some of the other legitimate addons and it has been working great. I will try to compile alpha 2 and if things go as well as alpha 1 I think it could be worth considering for anybody interested in some of the new features since 17.6.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:51 pm 
I'm very impressed with Kodi 18 alpha 2. Netflix and Amazon Prime have been working very well. No need for a web browser or keyboard. Of course I can't speak to the performance of Kodi 18 for all of the addons other people are using. Is it possible to have both versions available from the repository since this is alpha and some people may want to stick with a stable version? (I think) I can provide PKGBUILD's for both kodi-18a2 and its build dependencies. There are also a couple of other dependencies for inputstream.adaptive that would be good to package.