View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:52 am 
Thanks to @knappster I am enjoying Kodi 17 so I decided to try Netflix. The short of it is that my 'fullscreen' chrome window only covers a small portion of the desktop. If I try 'chrome --full-screen --kiosk http://netflix.com/Wihome' I get the same. Actually the URL does not matter. Results are the same. However chrome does display a blurb at the top of the window that says something along the line of hitting 'ESC (or F11, can't remember) to escape fullscreen'. My desktop runs at 1920x1080 but that bit of info doesn't seem to get through to whatever is starting chrome. Any ideas/suggestions on how to fix/troubleshoot?

-sparks-

Last edited by sparks on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:14 pm 
I haven't tried running chrome full screen since I got a video card that supported current nvidia drivers, but when chrome launched with the legacy nvidia drivers before, I was able to get it to launch full screen. Have you tried the Web on LinHES Netflix install?

You may also want to see this post:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=24735

Kodi 18 alpha is capable of running Netflix, but it takes a few steps. I've had some issues where playback is all jacked up, but it happens right at the beginning and I have to stop and restart the video (sometimes more than once). I've not experienced it happening after the video started, though. Also, I saw a commit which may have corrected this and I have also built 18 from git, but haven't installed it because I am hoping there will be another alpha or beta release to build from soon instead. I can share my experience if you would like, but if you have a keyboard an mouse and don't mind using them, the Netflix Web on LinHES would be my suggestion. The remote works once you start playback, but you will need to use something else to select the video to play.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:42 pm 
I checked one google link concerning this and it fixed my problem. The link is https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/273989/how-can-i-make-chromium-start-full-screen-under-x and I followed the advice of the accepted answer. It essentially said to edit the google-chrome preference file and set the window to full desktop size. Why one needs to do this, why 'fullscreen' options don't work is beyond me but it did work and I just slipped into my TV cocoon. It worked and I didn't care how or why.

I do have problems with servicing LinHES because 1) I use Debian based distros for almost all my other computers and 2) when I turn on my LinHES box I am ready to watch TV, not deal with yet another computer problem. <sigh> So unless it's something fairly obvious, I'm not ready to deal with it. At least not until the next day.

I appreciate your comments.

-s-

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:42 pm 
I'm confused, I installed Chromium from the Repository and I don't remember having to do anything special to make if full screen. I hit "Alt W" to open it and then click the maximize button if it isn't. Nothing special, YouTube, Netflix, CW streaming, and pretty much any video service online work fine. I find the most difficulty is trying to make websites work with remotes so I don't. I keep my k400r keyboard in the living room and it works great.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:01 pm 
My window never started anywhere close to full screen. Maybe 30-40% of the desktop. When clicking on Netflix, chrome starts in kiosk mode so there is no maximize button. Second, per the OP, the window thought it was fullscreen anyways. That's just the way is was. My installation has been in for a couple of years so there has been plenty of time and ways for it to go awry. Count your blessings.

-s-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:17 am 
sparks, I'm not quite sure I understand how you implemented this in the end. Web on LinHES can be installed from the:
Service Menu
LinHES Settings
Programs
page 3

This would then create an "Online Content" submenu to the "Media Library" menu in mythtv frontend where you can launch netflix in chrome. When i launch it the first time it takes up about 75% of the screen, but if i close and launch again it is fullscreen. I haven't used it much, but I think this is the method that mattbatt is using.

Like you, I have primarily used Debian, which was nice when things were Knoppmyth, but I can usually google what I need in arch. That leave me knowing just enough to be dangerous.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:39 am 
I already had that menu installed but never used anything but AppleTrailers until last week. When I clicked on Netflix, chrome opened this small window however many times I went back and tried again. AS stated, chrome *thought* it was fullscreen! What I am getting from you and @mattblatt is that you don't understand my problem because your's works. Believe me. I did the same things you did but mine did not work. I had to go old school manual and fiddle with a preference file to resolve the issue. I guess I must be the only person (or few) to have this problem because I don't any one else is posting about it. I seem to run into to problems that are rather unique. Computers, plumbing, home electrical, auto repair, etc. But such is my life and I've learned to accept it. The stories I could tell. :roll:

-s-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:40 pm 
I totally understand. Earlier, I was having issues with chrome launching. period. Mine appears to have been an nvidia driver/card related issue. It's kind of strange because usually chrome just works. Maybe it is a combination of LinHES libraries, video drivers, and chrome. All in all, it's good to hear you've achieved what you wanted to.

If it's just Netflix that you are using chrome for, I have had pretty good luck with Kodi 18 so far with Netflix and Amazon. There is still a playback issue on occasion, but I am optimistic that it will be resolved in the next pre-release. I will keep everyone posted.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:13 pm 
My chrome is running in a window not in kiosk mode. I installed the "online content" section as described above and now I understand why you don't have a maximize button. If you have keyboard hold "alt w" and a regular windowed chrome browser will open.