View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:28 pm 
Hello,

I got tired of always having to fight to get ZFS installed whenever I updated my LinHES server.. So, just to create more headaches for me I decided to see if I could get it to install and run on Proxmox VE under a LXC (Linux Container). Which is similar in some respects to a Docker install...

Well, after 2 weeks, it seems to be working fine. Recordings are happening, Playback works on my FE's, I split the Emby into it's own dedicated LXC, and I also moved the MySQL into its own LXC as well.

Steps followed:
    Installed on a KVM first to have a fresh install.
    Backed up using a script from the Proxmox forum which skips certain directories (like dev, sys, ...)
    Set up a base LXC using an ArchLinux template
    Restored backup into that drive
    Took the database backup from my existing server and restored on the MySQL LXC
    Changed the Mythtv-Setup to use that database server for users (root, mythtv, and me)
    Turned on the runsv stuff and reduced the services down to what was needed to run mythtv backend.. Proxmox and Arch template use systemd
    Verified backend up and working
    Verified mythweb up and working
    performed a pacman -Syyu to make sure updates worked.
    Configured binding mounts from Proxmox ZFS fs to Storage Group defined locations

Anyways, just thought I'd mention it working. It was relatively painless to get up as well.

Configuration:
    Asus Z10PA-U8
    Xeon E5-2628L
    32GB ECC
    LSI-9211-8i
    LSI-9201-8i
    4 HDHR Tuners
    PCI Hauppauge PVR-350
    6-6TB
    6-4TB
    8-3TB
    250GB SSD

OS Proxmox VE
    Turnkey MySQL LXC
    LinHES LXC
    Emby LXC
    Plex LXC

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:28 pm 
As an update.. DON'T use a USB stick for the boot drive for Proxmox-VE.. The tutorial I followed to install suggested using one but proxmox writes frequently, and on Dec 25th the system decided it had enough.

I had a backup of the proxmox configuration, but it wasn't very recent. I was able to use ddrescue to recover enough of the current configuration files to rebuild.. I did not need to touch the LXC's at all.