View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:26 pm 
Hey guys, I'm having trouble figuring this one out. Whenever I issue any of the normal shutdown commands (e.g. 'poweroff' or 'shutdown -h now') my system just reboots instead. I got it into my head that I wanted to get wake timers sorted out today, but since I can't actually power off my computer, I can't even begin with that. I've had my setup running 24/7 since installation, so I really don't know if this is a problem caused by an update or if it's always been like this. I'm running an AsRock 760GM-GS3 motherboard and have an nVidia Geforce 610 installed (if that's relevant). Official nVidia drivers are in use, and the system is fully up-to-date. I've already updated my BIOS and I've messed with every 'wake' function I can find in it, to no effect. I've seen recommendations to look in my logs for errors, but I can't find where the relevant logs are on this system. Does anybody have any idea where to start with this?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:08 pm 
*Sigh*

I thought I finally stumbled onto something relevant, someone else with an AsRock motherboard and the same problem, and they had to unbind ehci devices before shutdown to avoid an automatic reboot. But I just tried both their script, and manually unloading the modules to no effect.

I also tried 'acpi=off', 'acpi=force', 'acpi=Windows', and maybe a few others in my GRUB configuration, but none of those helped either.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:18 am 
Alright, well... I guess if nobody can offer me help by this afternoon, I'll just switch distros. I use Arch on my desktop, and I have verified that I can shut down properly from the Arch installation ISO, so that might be my next stop.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:56 pm 
I'm sorry if this is too stupid of a question but.... did you try "sudo poweroff" or just "poweroff"?