View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:35 pm 
Hi all,

I have been a long time user of LinHES and it is a absolutely FANTASTIC product, it just works. Supporting it where I can with bug reports and testing, to posting in the forums. Back in the day I even write scripts to help install thiings, Oh the Good Ol' Days.

My questions is, is there any work still being down to update this product?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:52 pm 
http://cgit.linhes.org/linhes_pkgbuild/?h=testing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:58 pm 
Time has been short for me and as you say it has just worked so I haven't had huge incentive to make it a priority. I have started some of the work for the prereqs for MythTV 31. The installer and mythinstall really need to be rewritten to use MythUI but I just haven't had the time. I hope that 31 didn't kill more of what is needed for mythinstall to keep working.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:28 pm 
Thanks for getting back to me and highlighting where you are at.

Is there anything from a technical user's perspective I can do to help, testing anything like that?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:16 pm 
If you want to get on the testing repo and report issues that would help. Right now I am working on getting the base packages updated before working on the more user facing ones. The other big thing is Myth 31 going python 3. While we have some py 3 packages I know some are going to have to be added. Also all of mythinstall code is still py 2.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:44 pm 
I can see the Testing forum but I don't have access to read anything in there.

Would that be the best place for feed back on testing?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:25 am 
I can donate a few hours per week moving scripts from Python 2 to Python 3 if that would help.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:07 am 
That is awesome bobmyth, hopefully brfransen gets in contact and you can help out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:18 pm 
bobmyth, that would definitely help!

Scripts in LinHES-system and LinHES-config would be a great place to start.
http://cgit.linhes.org/linhes_pkgbuild/ ... ?h=testing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:55 pm 
Not sure if the thread is still monitored.
But I did see mentioned one issue was to convert the python 2 code to python 3.

I have noticed a python tool code, called 2to3, which is supposed to convert or report what it can't fix.
It is supposed to be depreciated in 3.12 plus, 3.10 is still around at this time

Just want to know, if LinHES is still being maintained, if so I can see if I can understand the guides provided to see if the python 2 code can be converted.

During the pandemic, I built a couple of machines, (AMD Ryzen based, with three Ryzen APUs), so I can setup a linux environment in a couple of different methods.

With more people 'excited' about streaming services, I hope MythTV and LinHES can still attract users.

Finally, I will admit, I do not code for a living, but with enough time and patience, eventually, I can accomplish the desired goal.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:05 am 
Cecil and I have been talking about the future of LinHES over the last few months and have the base of it started. It is a change in the build process and directly uses the arch packages with a linhes repo for the things that make LinHES. This new direction we leverage an installer that works much better for newer systems and even nvme drives. But we have lost the 10' interface for configuring system settings. Some other automations have been lost as well. I am adding them back as I need them and time permits.

You can see the development of it at http://cgit.linhes.org/linhes_pkgbuild/ ... ?h=testing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:19 pm 
I have been watching this site for a long time wondering if anything was happening. I had a hardware failure about 2 years ago which forced me off of linHES - I have missed it ever since. If there is work going into re-kindling linHES I will help in any way I can!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:40 pm 
I have pushed up an install ISO to http://www.linhes.org/downloads/R9/R9.0/

Couple of notes if you want to play with this:
- I recommend trying this on a new drive or at the very least make a good backup of your R8 install.
- Keep the default user of mythtv in the installer. If you want to add another user after install that is fine.
- On first boot there be alot of install activity and you should end up with a empty mythtv install.
- None of the restore from backup has been automated. So you will need to manually restore your db using the mythconverg backup and restore scripts: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore
- If you used the add_storage.py script from R8 you can copy your /etc/storage.d/ files to the new install, connect your drives and add_storage.py --reconstruct should work

Please remember that this is in progress. It is also more opinionated than R8 was in that it doesn't give as many options if you want something installed or not. I am using it for a couple of different systems and it has been stable. Your mileage may vary.

Britney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:43 pm 
Thanks - will load on my old Myth machine and report back... What is the base Myth version?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:14 am 
nbdwt73 wrote:
What is the base Myth version?

Go to page 1, 2  Next