View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:28 pm 
Hello,

I am new to LinHES and need a pointer on installation of a Ceton InfiniTV 4 card. I have a Ceton InfiniTV 4 card and hopeful that the driver for this device will be installed by default. In the mythbackend, the Ceton card is available to be selected; however, when I scan for channels the message "Failed to open the card" appears in the Scan Type box. It seems like this device is not functioning because I am unable to access the device web configuration page at 192.168.200.1.

Is it correct that the driver for Ceton InfiniTV 4 card is not installed by default and I need to install it manually?

After installing the driver manually (assuming this will be the case), I presume that re-installation of the driver will be necessary when LinHES updates the kernel? If yes, is there a way to avoiding this manual re-installation step (dkms)?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

With kind regards,

Last edited by drhood on Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:15 am 
I don't have a Ceton so have never tested it myself but others here do and have reported that it works. It should be installed by default. Check with pacman -Ss ceton. I know it gets rebuild everytime we update the kernel http://cgit.linhes.org/linhes_pkgbuild/ ... v?h=master.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:04 am 
brfransen wrote:
I don't have a Ceton so have never tested it myself but others here do and have reported that it works. It should be installed by default. Check with pacman -Ss ceton. I know it gets rebuild everytime we update the kernel http://cgit.linhes.org/linhes_pkgbuild/ ... v?h=master.

Thank you for the reply. i checked pacman and ceton is installed.

On my mythbuntu system, the ceton driver installed a web configuration (accessible at 192.168.200.1) page dedicated for the ceton card, which seems to be inaccessible on this system.

After thinking about it for a while I suspect my problem is due to not setting up the network interface for the ceton card. The card itself runs its own DCHP server and assigns the 192.168.200.x network to the card. In a debian based system, this is done by editing the /etc/network/interfaces file. However, this file is not found in LinHES.

What is the equivalent to /etc/network/interfaces in LinHES?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:55 am 
LinHES uses etcnet.
Code:
man etcnet

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:23 am 
brfransen wrote:
LinHES uses etcnet.
Code:
man etcnet

Thank you for this tip. Based on the manpage, it seems like the key is /etc/net/ifaces; however, I suspect subdirectories and files should not be manually created. Because I don't find much on etcnet in google, it will take me while to understand how to use etcnet.

Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:22 pm 
drhood wrote:
Hello,

I am new to LinHES and need a pointer on installation of a Ceton InfiniTV 4 card. I have a Ceton InfiniTV 4 card and hopeful that the driver for this device will be installed by default. In the mythbackend, the Ceton card is available to be selected; however, when I scan for channels the message "Failed to open the card" appears in the Scan Type box. It seems like this device is not functioning because I am unable to access the device web configuration page at 192.168.200.1.

Is it correct that the driver for Ceton InfiniTV 4 card is not installed by default and I need to install it manually?

After installing the driver manually (assuming this will be the case), I presume that re-installation of the driver will be necessary when LinHES updates the kernel? If yes, is there a way to avoiding this manual re-installation step (dkms)?

With kind regards,

LinHes 8.4.3 will magicaly install your ceton drivers and network if everything is at default settings. Please open terminal (Alt +x) and type: ifconfig
I have attached a picture of my ifconfig output. The 2 yellow highlighted "ctn0" and "eth0" are my Ceton 6 and Wired Ethernet. Both match my router 192.168.x.x
The x's can be anything but "router", "ctn0" and "eth0" (or wireless connection) must all start with xxx.xxx._._ If they don't your router and or card must be reset. http://cetoncorp.com/downloads/reset_network.py .
If your router doesn't start with 192.168., then either you need to change the router to 192.168 or edit the script to match the router, and then reset the card to match the router. The ip you put in Capture Cards during Mythtv setup has to be default or match the edited script.
You also need to setup your channels at http://www.schedulesdirect.org/ What I did was use my cable box to verify what channels I was subscribed to. At schedules direct I selected my provider then enabled channels I got and disabled channels I didn't get. I don’t scan channels in Mythtv "Input Connections", I
" retrieve" (button to the right of scan) channels from schedules direct in a few seconds. After clicking "retrieve" I use my keyboard to arrow down. Once the retrieve is complete, channels will be available below the scan button.

Attachments
ifconfig.PNG
ifconfig.PNG [ 68.5 KiB | Viewed 25323 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:36 pm 
Site Admin
linhes will install the ceton driver and setup all the networking for you.
Along with the advice in the previous post, have a look at the masterbackend webpage. From the left hand menu, select system->tuners. It will display all the tuners found, and if they are networked it will provide a link. For the ceton tuners Linhes also sets up a proxy so the tuners may be accessed from the lan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:27 am 
bhcv wrote:
drhood wrote:
Hello,

With kind regards,

LinHes 8.4.3 will magicaly install your ceton drivers and network if everything is at default settings. Please open terminal (Alt +x) and type: ifconfig
I have attached a picture of my ifconfig output. The 2 yellow highlighted "ctn0" and "eth0" are my Ceton 6 and Wired Ethernet. Both match my router 192.168.x.x
The x's can be anything but "router", "ctn0" and "eth0" (or wireless connection) must all start with xxx.xxx._._ If they don't your router and or card must be reset. http://cetoncorp.com/downloads/reset_network.py .
If your router doesn't start with 192.168., then either you need to change the router to 192.168 or edit the script to match the router, and then reset the card to match the router. The ip you put in Capture Cards during Mythtv setup has to be default or match the edited script.
You also need to setup your channels at http://www.schedulesdirect.org/ What I did was use my cable box to verify what channels I was subscribed to. At schedules direct I selected my provider then enabled channels I got and disabled channels I didn't get. I don’t scan channels in Mythtv "Input Connections", I
" retrieve" (button to the right of scan) channels from schedules direct in a few seconds. After clicking "retrieve" I use my keyboard to arrow down. Once the retrieve is complete, channels will be available below the scan button.

Thank you for the reply and suggestions.

The ifconfig command displays only eth0 and not ctn0.

My network is using 192.169.x.xx .

I tried the reset_network.py script but it fails with the message 'Failed to send reset'. I googled this error but did not discover an obvious solution.

My channels are set up as I have channel data, just not a working ceton Infinitv 4 card, yet.

I have more info to post in replies to other who also responded.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:43 am 
jams wrote:
linhes will install the ceton driver and setup all the networking for you.
Along with the advice in the previous post, have a look at the masterbackend webpage. From the left hand menu, select system->tuners. It will display all the tuners found, and if they are networked it will provide a link. For the ceton tuners Linhes also sets up a proxy so the tuners may be accessed from the lan.

Thank you for this reply. Oh how I wish the ceton infinitv 4 was working. However, I am hopeful I can get it working in LinHES with help from others like yourself. After all, this tuner card was working in mythbuntu.

When I view the tuner list from the masterbackend webpage (system --> tuners), which is on the same machine as the frontend, the following is displayed.

Code:
pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV   
      static device node: /dev/vstatic/v4l_7_0

LG Electronics LGDT3303 VSB/QAM     
      static device node: /dev/dvb/adapter_static_dvb_7_2_1/frontend0

I suspect the LGDT3303 VSB/QAM tuner is on the HD5500 card.

It seems like LinHES does not see the tuner. I can understand why this makes sense because I cannot access the ceton infinitv4 webpage at 192.168.200.x. This too makes sense because I when I set up this tuner in mythbuntu, I had to manually edit /etc/network/interfaces file, which I think enbles the system to see the device as a network. However, the /etc/network/interfaces file is not in LinHES and instead uses /etc/net/ifaces; however, I am unfamiliar with configuring network using /etc/net/ifaces.

I have more info that I will share in another reply.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:00 pm 
Hi Guys,

I know this thread is quite a few months old. I hope it is not too old to continue because I am still struggling getting the ceton infinitv 4 recognized in LinHES. I appreciate everyone who has tried to help so far.

I can confirm that the operating system can see the ceton card.

Quote:
root@linhes mythtv]# ls /dev/ctn*
/dev/ctn91xxctl0 /dev/ctn91xx_filter0_4 /dev/ctn91xx_mpeg0_3
/dev/ctn91xx_filter0_0 /dev/ctn91xx_filter0_5
/dev/ctn91xx_mpeg0_4
/dev/ctn91xx_filter0_1 /dev/ctn91xx_mpeg0_0 /dev/ctn91xx_mpeg0_5
/dev/ctn91xx_filter0_2 /dev/ctn91xx_mpeg0_1
/dev/ctn91xx_filter0_3 /dev/ctn91xx_mpeg0_2

I can confirm that LinHES 8.x does install a driver for the ceton card.

Quote:
$ sudo pacman -Ss ceton
core/ceton_infinitv 2013.0326.2226-22 [installed]
Drivers for Ceton InfiniTV4 - pci/usb
core/ctntad 0.2.0-1 [installed]
Ceton InfiniTV Tuning Adapter Driver

I can also confirm that the system does not see the Ceton card because it is not listed in the LinHES webpage under System --> Tuners.

Quote:
Tuners
Detected Cards and Static Device Paths

__________ linhes __________

pcHDTV HD5500 HDTV
static device node: /dev/vstatic/v4l_7_0

LG Electronics LGDT3303 VSB/QAM
static device node: /dev/dvb/adapter_static_dvb_7_2_1/frontend0

I think both tuners above are for the pcHDTV HD5500 card.

I believe the reason that mythtv does not see the Ceton tuner(s) is because the proxy has not been set up. The output of ifconfig lists only eth0 and lo. The network interface ctn0 does not appear in the output of ifconfig.

To create the ctn0 network interface, I have tried using the following command without success.

Quote:
[root@linhes mythtv]# sh ./reset_network.py
line 6: syntax error near unexpected token (
line 6: 'def main(argv):'

I suspect that the above script fails because it was not built for LinHES. Nevertheless, it seems that my challenge is to configure LinHES so that ctn0 appears in ifconfig. How do I create the ctn0 network interface?

I am aware of etcnet; however, I don't know how to use it. I man and googled and read about it; however, I am not brave enough to use what I read in google.

I will greatly appreciate if (a) instructions can be provided for how to create the ctn0 network interface or (b) suggest an alternative solution if the lack of ctn0 in ifconfig is not the cause but a side effect of the true inability to use the ctn0 card.

With kind regards,

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:31 pm 
Hi All,

I made a step closer. I discovered that the interface ctn0 was detectable by the system by running the following command.

Quote:
[root@linhes mythtv]# ip link
1: lo: <LOOPBACK, UP, LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default glen 1
link/loopback 00:00:00:0000:00 brd 00:00:00:0000:00

2: ctn0: <BROADCAST, MULTICAST, UP, LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/ether ##:##:##:##:##:## brd ##:##:##:##:##:##

3: eth0: <BROADCAST, MULTICAST, UP, LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/ether ##:##:##:##:##:## brd ##:##:##:##:##:##

So, I issued the following command...

Quote:
[root@linhes mythtv]# ifconfig ctn0 up

Then, I issued the ifconfig command...

Quote:
[root@linhes mythtv]# ifconfig
ctn0: flags=4163<UP, BROADCAST, RUNNING, MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 ...
ether ...
Rx packets ...
RX errors ...
TX packets ...
TX errors ...

eth0: flags=4163...
inet 192.168.#.###...
inet6 ...
ether ...
Rx packets ...
RX errors ...
TX packets ...
TX errors ...

lo: flags=73 ...
inet ...
inet6 ...
loop ...

All I have to do is assign an ip4 address to ctn0.

How do I assign an ip4 address to the ctn0?

Thanks in advance for any input.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:08 am 
Was the Ceton installed when you installed LinHES? If it was autocard.py should have setup the cetonproxy service. Whether or not it was installed try using autocard.py to setup the card and proxy.

See autocard.py options:
Code:
sudo autocard.py

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:57 am 
brfransen wrote:
Was the Ceton installed when you installed LinHES? If it was autocard.py should have setup the cetonproxy service. Whether or not it was installed try using autocard.py to setup the card and proxy.

See autocard.py options:
Code:
sudo autocard.py

Thank you for replying. I am grateful. The output of autocard.py with no option simply returns a list of options to use with autocard.py. The output of the print option is the following.
Code:
sudo autocard.py print
HDHOMERUN not detected
    * Error scanning network interface ctn0
    * Please check that the interface is ready and configured

I believe the network interface is not configured properly. I am unable to find instructions on how to configure the ctn0 interface in a LinHES system.

Will any of the autocard.py options (udev, write-proxy, all) be useful?

If not, any help with configuring the ctn0 network interface will be grateful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:30 am 
So you did get ctn0 in ifconfig? Please post the output of ifconfig.

If ctn0 is in ifconfig then you can try sudo autocard.py write_proxy

Check if autocard can scan ctn0 (sudo autocard.py print). And check if the cetonproxy is running sudo sv status cetonproxy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:35 am 
brfransen wrote:
So you did get ctn0 in ifconfig? Please post the output of ifconfig.

If ctn0 is in ifconfig then you can try sudo autocard.py write_proxy

Check if autocard can scan ctn0 (sudo autocard.py print). And check if the cetonproxy is running sudo sv status cetonproxy

Thanks for taking the time to write a reply. The output of sudo ifconfig fails to list the ctn0 network interface. I know the network interface is not created/configured and I didn't know how to create it manually in LinHES. I tried the instructions for assigning a network address found here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne ... assignment.

I made a step forward! The ctn0 network interface now appears after the ifconfig command. This is the command I used.
Code:
sudo ip link set ctn0 up
ip addr add 192.168.200.0/24 broadcast 192.168.200.255 dev ctn0

No error message appeared.
The output of ifconfig now includes...
Code:
sudo ifconfig ctn0
ctn0:    flags=4163<UP, BROADCAST, RUNNING, MULTICAST> MTU 1500
            inet: 192.168,200.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.200.255

i then ran the autocard.py print command.
Code:
sudo autocard.py print
HDHOMERUN not detected
Scanning 192.168.200.0 network for ceton infinitv
['No InfiniTV found\n']
Ceton not detected on 192.168.200.0

The command sudo autocard.py write_proxy returns the same failed output as the print option.

Making progress one step at a time. I can use a clue on what to do next. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Go to page 1, 2  Next