View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:48 pm 
I'd like to change my boot drive to a sata with my upgrade to R6 (primarily so IO to swap is faster).
Currently /dev/hda1 is /, /dev/hda2 is swap, /dev/hdc1 is /myth
Assuming I switch to by-label before I start the upgrade, will the following work?

1. Do the actual switch by labeling the partitions and changing fstab to:
LABEL="Root" / ...yada yada yada...
LABEL="Swap" swap ...yada yada yada...
LABEL="Myth" /myth ...yada yada yada...
2. Run mythbackup.
3. Stop backend (if it isn't already).
4. Insert new drive, formatting a root and swap partition.
5. Label the partitions on the new drive like the old one. *
6. Shutdown and remove old drive.
7. Run the Install/upgrade. -It's here that I'm hoping the installer will do it's format & install new files routine on the new drive, picking the location from the fstab in the backup.

* I guess I'm assuming the kernel doesn't throw a fit here, and only checks this on boot. Tell me if I'm wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:56 am 
Hmm

Two different jobs

1.) Migrate to R6
2.) Pata to Sata

1.) You can migrate your existing system to R6 using the Upgrade Option. Before you do this Backup UP your existing 5.5 setup. That will only affect the your boot partition. In my case it was SDA1. Be careful only format the boot partition not the whole drive. It is critical that you know where your the location of your shows. As far R6 and Arch they now use UUID as a replacement for labeling. If you only have one drive in your system the upgrade will automatically change your FStab to UUID identification. If you have more than one drive then you have to manually edit FSTAB. No big deal as long as you do it right.

Code:
as root
ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/

This will show you the uuid info for all the drives in your system
Then you will be able to edit your FSTAB for UUID

2.) Pata to Sata. Personally I do not see any real difference between the two. But PATA is toast and Sata Drives are cheap. If you system is slow gettting a Sata drive will not improve. Scaling out to multiple drives might. It's way easier to create a storage group and add a Sata drive to your system. Otherwise you can migrate there is a lot of info in the forum on that topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:21 pm 
Quote:
1.) You can migrate your existing system to R6 using the Upgrade Option. Before you do this Backup UP your existing 5.5 setup. That will only affect the your boot partition. In my case it was SDA1. Be careful only format the boot partition not the whole drive. It is critical that you know where your the location of your shows.

Yes, I've done a couple of these through the R5 series. My confusion (right word?) lies with the new parts R6 changed and whether this plan will work. If this was R5, I know I could choose some things (partition sizes, as an example) during the upgrade or 'break-out' in the middle to change something.
What I've read so far on R6 is the upgrade is totally automated after 'screen 1' [http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LinHES], and is so fast you don't get a chance to 'break-in' and change anything. So I just wanted to have everything understood and planned out ahead of time.
Quote:
As far R6 and Arch they now use UUID as a replacement for labeling.

I understand why it shouldn't be by device name now, but must it be by-uuid and not by-label? As long as my made up by-label labels are unique and don't change, one shouldn't have problems, right? Or is R6 hard-coded (even after the installer) to use only by-uuid s?
FYI I've now done the 1. I listed before.
Quote:
2.) Pata to Sata. Personally I do not see any real difference between the two. But PATA is toast and Sata Drives are cheap. If you system is slow gettting a Sata drive will not improve. Scaling out to multiple drives might. It's way easier to create a storage group and add a Sata drive to your system. Otherwise you can migrate there is a lot of info in the forum on that topic.

Yeah, my primary reason to add a sata is space, I just thought I might get a small side benefit at the same time. :) I understand the only speedups might be boot and IO to swap.

To distill what I'm asking: Can R6 restore to a different drive than the one it backed up from?

Bonus question: Has anyone had any trouble with Silicon Image 3512 based sata controllers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:25 pm 
UUID. See my posts here:
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20302&highlight=uuid
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19932&highlight=uuid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:02 pm 
Ha! :lol: I'd just read those.. , but it still wasn't clear.
Anyway, it just occurred to me I could keep the labels and still use "ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/" or "mount -l" to keep track of which drive is which. I'll relent and change fstab to uuids.

The problem of restoring to a new, different boot drive still remains though:
Using static device names, you could run mythbackup, shutdown, switch out the boot drive with a similarly formatted new drive, then continue with the upgrade. The upgrade would install & restore back to what it thought was the same drive.
With UUIDs, the installer* is not going to install to a (eg. /dev/sda1) device location, as those now move randomly. It's either going to 1.fail or 2.overwrite something I don't want deleted.
*I'm assuming this, I haven't read the code. Please correct me if wrong..

Can R6 <using UUIDs> restore to a different drive than the one it backed up from?
or
Where in the backup is the information stored that tells the installer which drive is the boot drive, so I can go in with a Live CD and change the UUID?

Thank you