View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page Previous  1, 2

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:39 am 
I'm pretty sure you can still run a front end directly off of the install CD with no installation to anything required. However, unless the front end has a MythTV backend to talk to somewhere on your network, you won't get much of a sense of how it would work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:05 pm 
Right, my current setup is a dedicated backend running 6.01 that runs all the time, paired with a frontend that dual boots to Windows and a front-end only version of R5.5.

I'd like to upgrade both to 6.02, but I don't want to kill Windows when I upgrade the frontend. Running off the CD doesn't sound like a good long-term option, though I'll see how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:44 pm 
If you don't want to spring for a second hard drive I would think you could run a frontend only install off of a USB flash drive without much effort and leave Windows on the hard disk. Other than the bootloader each should be happy in their own "sandbox".

In fact if I ever build a frontend only install I plan to tape a USB stick to the bottom of the case plugged into a modified USB header off the mainboard as a form of poor mans SSD.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:55 am 
This is an interesting concept. Has anyone ever run a Knoppmyth/Linhes frontend off a USB stick before? This could be an interesting alternative to diskless frontends. You can get a 4GB thumbdrive for less then $10. I have heard that flash drives have a limited number of read and writes so that may be a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:43 am 
I like to discuss the "diskless" USB flash drive frontend idea more. I stated a thread here:

http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.p ... 505#127505

/thread jack

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:46 pm 
Flash drive seems like an interesting option, and I'll follow the other thread closely. But let me just ask one more thing about installing on a hard drive. I understand that a full install of a backend/frontend combination will wipe the whole drive. But does a frontend-only install also wipe the whole drive? Could I, for example, install a frontend-only on /sda1 without harming /sda5?

Post subject: Not so smooth for me…
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:20 am 
Just to chirp in with my 2¢:
The upgrade didn't go anywhere near this smoothly for me. I tried the scripts method, and I was hitting pacman 'conflicting file' errors everywhere. What's worse is the LinHES upgrade scripts didn't check if pacman completed its tasks successfully.

So after it tried to 'pacman -Syu' to upgrade the whole system, which spectacularly failed, the upgrade script charged on. It took me a while to realise this: the script was telling me it was going to upgrade my database schema, but MythTV (still being v0.21) wasn't doing it.

Anyway, after a very stupid file deletion 'idea' (which involved 'rm -rf /var/lib/pacman/local/' - DON'T DO THIS!), I did a clean install. It's been working beautifully since!

One thing I don't get though: how come I have to uncheck then recheck options in 'plugins' and 'software' to get them to actually install/show up? Not very intuitive… R6.00 did this too.

Oh, one other disappointment: xf86-video-ati is still v6.9. v6.10 from the testing repository works flawlessly for me, and interlaced screen modes actually work in 6.10 (an error fixed upstream years ago). I reported this when I first installed R6; shame it's not shown up, especially for an HTPC distro where people are more likely to use interlaced screen modes.

MythTV 0.22 is lovely though, isn't it? =)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:47 am 
Site Admin
smilerish wrote:
Oh, one other disappointment: xf86-video-ati
Must have missed you earlier ATi comment... I don't think anyone on the dev team has an ATi. We could certainly use and welcome feedback on ATi.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:02 am 
cecil wrote:
Must have missed you earlier ATi comment... I don't think anyone on the dev team has an ATi. We could certainly use and welcome feedback on ATi.

That may have been because I posted it in the wrong forum before I realised there was a LinHES category.

The thread is here: http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20795

I'd be more than happy to provide feedback. As it is, since installing version 6.10 of the xf86-video-ati package, I've had no major video issues. The only difficulty I've encountered is using the 'Interlaced' de-interlacing options in MythTV (particularly with OpenGL rendering), but I have a very acceptable picture using Kernel de-interlacing with xv-blit.

Go to page Previous  1, 2