View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:57 pm 
After a hard drive failure on 6.01 I have a fresh drive and install of 6.02. I overcame the missing "add user" by running the script in a terminal window and I can now ssh into the box from another machine with this account. I have a couple of outstanding issues though:

1) How do I set a password for the root account? (sorry if this is a dumb question)

2) I am trying to install my favorite grabber for Australia - Shepherd (http://svn.whuffy.com/wiki/Installation), Which I have had working on all previous versions including 6.01. Shepherd requires a bunch of perl dependancies which in the past I have had to install - usually using the CPAN command per their instruction page. With 6.02 CPAN returns the following (installing Yaml::tiny as an example under root):

Code:
Warning (usually harmless): 'YAML' not installed, will not store persistent state

CPAN.pm: Going to build A/AD/ADAMK/YAML-Tiny-1.41.tar.gz

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for YAML::Tiny
Could not read '/root/.cpan/build/YAML-Tiny-1.41-2uQNhW/META.yml'. Falling back to other methods to determine prerequisites
  ADAMK/YAML-Tiny-1.41.tar.gz
  make -- NOT OK
Warning (usually harmless): 'YAML' not installed, will not store persistent state
Running make test
  Can't test without successful make
Running make install
  Make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

All attempts at installing CPAN modules end with the failure of a make install. Maybe under Arch CPAN isn't the way to do this? Again, sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks - Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:21 pm 
Whilst not to discourage your use of Shepherd as I have used it wonderully in the past, have you tried using the EIT data? Obviously this is not going to work with Foxtel however I have using it succesfully for the last couple of weeks and I don't have to worry about downloads and the like.

As to using a password for root, you don't need one. When I ssh into my box and run the su command it transfers me into the root user. If it doesn't work for you, what I did with my account is added it to the mythtv group, I don't know if that makes a difference.

CPAN does work I have used it to install modules myself and I haven't had to install YAML previously, has worked without it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:15 pm 
Thanks Grikers, I didn't realize the EIT data was OK now. I'm used to the networks only putting an hour or so ahead.

I cant get any CPAN modules to install. YAML was just an example but they all drop out with the same response - cant make install.

Thanks - Pat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:44 pm 
As root:
Code:
pacman -S shepherd

That should install all of the perl dependencies required.
Then, as the mythtv user run
Code:
shepherd --configure
Follow the prompts and you should be golden.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:32 am 
Girkers wrote:
Whilst not to discourage your use of Shepherd as I have used it wonderully in the past, have you tried using the EIT data?.

Hi Girkers,
Have you had any trouble with ABC recently using EIT as the grabber? I had only a few hours in advance a few days ago and ran Shepherd once to give me a few days (seven).
Maybe it's only me, but if so it'd be good to get to the bottom of it.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:55 pm 
Hi Mike,

I just checked my box now and found that I have data on most channels until Wednesday the 21st of April, including the ABC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:48 pm 
Hi Girkers,

So you are using EIT all by itself for free-to-air, and are getting reliable 7-day EPG?

Do the show names change much (e.g. House -> House MD)?
Does it have the episode information to avoid duplicates?

If it is a solid service now, i can retire my long-loved shepherd.

Cheers,

Nathan

Cooling: Zalman cu?,
Display: Benq xx projector

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:53 pm 
Im in Central Queensland and I have also gone from shepherd to just eit. I was skeptical but In mythtv status it sais i have 9 days of data. Been running for about two week now and have been realy happy. and havnt had duplicate recordings as yet and hasnt seemed to change the name of the show. Has infomation about the shows etc.
So far so good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:07 am 
It was funny after posting my message in here I was checking my records and found that my Friday night football was not recording this weekend. Found that they had added Wide World of Sports to the front of the name and Myth couldn't cope.

As to duplicates I am finding that it is handling it very well, my daughter "tapes" a few kids shows that can be shown a couple of times a day (mainly ABC3) and I record Spicks and Specks and have yet to get a duplicate so in all a good experience.