View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:54 am 
I'm one of those folks that has the philosophy of "if its not broke, don't fix it" -- As result my trusty backend has been humming along great for quite a while! Its gone from KL Malaysia, to DC, to Kabul and now in Dushanbe, Tajikistan. It's now time for me to upgrade, I picked up a NOVA-HD-S2 and I would like to get it working.

So I need some advice! What is the suggested upgrade path from R5F27 to R6.02. Can this be done directly or is there an intermediate upgrade I should do.

I currently have about 400 gigs of recordings and lot of historical data in my database that I would like to have on the new install.

I do have the drives to duplicate my current install, which I have done and tested so that I have easy an out (my wife loves her mythtv) -- but I am quite limited on bandwidth - so I don't to download any more iso's than necessary.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:23 am 
My advice would be to do a partial DB backup (just the meta-data relevant to your media files and possibly your channel lineup), copy everything from /myth onto another drive, then do a fresh install, copy the contents of /myth back, and restore just the media meta-data to the DB.

This is my current upgrade plan, as soon as there is some breathing room in my schedule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:23 pm 
Thanks, I am going to give this a shot today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:11 am 
Thanks, tjc

The partial DB backup method has worked well. I followed what I found here to get idea of what I should dump:

http://www.mythpvr.com/mythtv/tips/migr ... dings.html

I needed the -c option for mysqldump and the -f when I imported, but it seems to have worked fairly well. I am seeing a number of errors on the backend, but things seem to working well and I can work through the errors later. I still don't have my serial irblaster working, but I expect that I'll get that ironed out tomorrow..

R6.02 is great. The install is fast, clean and very polished. Setting up monitor the for 1920x1080 was piece of cake. My only gripe is that I am not familiar enough with arch to get emacs installed. I tried "pacman -S emacs" without luck. I am lost without emacs, working in nano quite painful and the fact that nano doesn't let me suspend so that i can drop out to my shell, is madding.

Its probably just a matter of changing the package repository to pull down emacs..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:45 am 
mac wrote:
Its probably just a matter of changing the package repository to pull down emacs..

Not recommended. The likelihood of something breaking is not insignificant. Any package you find you prefer over one that is included with R6 try the DIY approach. You can probably find a PKGBUILD for emacs on the arch website. Click on the SVN entries link on the right and grab the tarball. Then follow the procedures here to make your own package:
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19849
This way the dependencies you build against are LinHES and you won't pull in anything that will break your system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:32 pm 
If you're a "ordinary" emacs user rather than an elisp hacker you might be able to get by with an editor that has a good emacs emulation mode like jed. Don't know if there is a package for it in the repositories, but it's small and dead easy to install yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:04 pm 
@mihanson, Thanks for the heads up on the dependency issues. I am sure that as I get used to arch that I will stumble into a few minefields.

@tjc, I'll give jed a shot, I have been using emacs for 15 years and I get it to jump though hoops that other editors can only dream about. Though I do have to admit that I am impressed by vi in the hands of a master.

Rebuilding emacs on new distro is not my idea of a party. When I get board one day, I'll figure it out. For now I'll just export the root filesystem and use another box.

Post subject: irblaster
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:59 am 
Figuring out the issue with my serial irblaster was a little tricky.

adding the lines:

/sbin/sv down /etc/sv/lircd
/sbin/sv up /etc/sv/lircd

before the exec at the end /etc/sv/frontend/run seems to have fixed it. Maybe the issue had something to do with the services run order..

I am not sure if there is cleaner method. Just for the sake of future reference:

pvr-350 silver remote
serial irblaster