View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: R6.02 install fail
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:47 pm 
Soooooo having some issues with upgrading my system to 6.02 am going with a clean install so no thoughts of backup or preserving current system at all.

First of all I am getting the error that the backend can't find itself on the network but when i attempt to continue it hangs on the LINHES yellow desktop. In another term window it had some errors about finding default themes. then a final Killed message returning to the command line.

Any thoughts at all. I've now tried two cd's both showing the same issue so i'm not sure its going to be the disk. Several attempts same thing. I've attempted starting mythinstall again with the same issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:13 am 
This may or may not be related to your problem. I have found that if I boot my fully installed R6.02 system with the network cable unplugged, the backend can not be found by the frontend. So you might want to make sure your network is connected while doing the install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:22 pm 
So i've tried installing from a usb drive as well as a second copy of the disk with no luck. I've also tried to swap my video card out with an older PCI card. Its still a geforce 4 series card but still newer. I have been forcing Vesa mode the whole time to avoid issues with the older card. It still isn't finding itself on the network but this doesn't seem to be playing into the issue at all as it still is getting an IP address and i can ping in and out of the machine. Once the "Can't find myself on network" prompt goes away after selecting continue, i can watch the xterm window prompt with some Theme preview images not found messages and then it locks up. The machine still responds to pings but nothing from keyboard or mouse.

I've also tried with and without network cable being attached as jzigmyth suggested could be related.

Ive had R6 installed on the system before attempting this upgrade to 6.02 so i'm not sure that its the hardware.

Post subject: Bad burn
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:53 am 
I got this on several versions of myth. The problem was a bad CD. Reburn CD, download again or run the test media to be certain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:56 pm 
and it was a memory issue. Only had 256mb RAM to start. It was an old system that still was running R6 without any issues but it looks like it was just not enough for 6.02 Installed another 384mb of ram and its happily installing as i type this. Jams helped me out a lot so thanks for that. We ended up running dmesg and from there the out of memory issue was obvious.

so 4 cd's later and an attempted usb install, it was just the lack of memory