View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:38 pm 
In preparation for upgrading my main R5.5 system to R6.01, I installed a pristine R5.5 system into VirtualBox and did minimal config (single HD Homerun Tuner, schedules direct setup, setup channels). After verifying that listings/live tv worked, I did a mythbackup and tried to upgrade to R6.01 by booting the CD and going through the standard upgrade.
When I do this the system hangs while attempting to update? the database. When I switch to a different terminal, I can see that mysql is being restarted continuously. I've done this three times now from a bare R5.5 install. Can somebody suggest what might be causing this and how to get past this point? Until I can get through an upgrade on a pristine R5.5 install, I don't want to try it on my real, rather crufty R5.5 system.

I believe this may be related to:

http://www.linhes.org/bugs/issues/587

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:45 am 
I would guess that it might be this.

Bruce S.

Hauppauage Nova-T 500, Nova-T LinHes R8.6.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:16 pm 
bruce_s01 wrote:
I would guess that it might be this.

I'm not sure why. It's my understanding that both R5.5 and R6.01 are mythtv-0.21 based. Shouldn't they have essentially the same database schemas?

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:29 am 
Just wanted to close off this thread, by saying that I never did get the R5.5 to R6.01 upgrade to work with a new install of R5.5 under VirtualBox. I finally tried my real, much hacked R5.5 KnoppMyth install and the upgrade worked. I had to fix some file permissions, add some things to /etc/exports and /etc/fstab which didn't get carried over from the old system; but the important things is that it didn't hang trying to restore the mysql database from my backup. I would suggest careful plans on how to revert back to R5.5 just in case, but think my previously reported problems should not discourage anyone from upgrading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:31 am 
The DB upgrade can definitely be problematic. I'm not sure what the issue is but sometimes it just seems to never finish. To upgrade my production box from R5.5 to R6.0x I ended up making a backup, doing a straight install onto a new disk, copying over all the data from /myth on the old disk, and then doing a selective data only import of media meta-data from my backup.

There are instructions and scripts around here somewhere from me helping someone else do the same if you look. This looks like the one:
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22098