View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:47 am 
Hello,

I've followed this post on Front end only diskless install http://linhes.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21000&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=diskless+frontend&sid=1e32f1b1b100f6c63a90e01a1c43d70d

I've got my Myth backend working as a DHCP and TFTP server with NFS mounts. I think I'm running into a NIC driver issue.

Where I've run into problems is booting for the first time after running the script. I get the following on the FE:

Code:
Root Device '/dev/nfs' doesn't exist, attempting to create it
/bin/mknod "/dev/nfs" b 0 255
:: Initramfs Completed - control passing to kinit
IP-Config: no devices to configure
Waiting 0 s before mounting root device. . .
connect: Network is unreachable
connect: Network is unreachable
NFS over TCP not available from 10.0.5.50
kinit:init not found!
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

10.0.5.50 is the mythBE

Running the script for the second time does not see the FE.
Entries in the messages log show the diskless FE gets an IP at boot, but there seems to be some issue with it being able to use the NIC once it transitions to the LinHes image.

Hardware for FE is Foxconn 330i - Intel Atom/Ion
Looks like it has an Attansic NIC, is there support for this in LinHes?

According to the version of Linux shipped with the device, the driver is the atl1c:

Code:
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. Device 1063 (rev c0)
Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device 0d52
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
Memory at feac0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
I/O ports at ec00 [size=128]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: atl1c
Kernel modules: atl1c

How do I get the driver added to LinHES or installed on my diskless FE in the short term?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:21 am 
This driver was added a while back, when I tried to get this Foxconn device to work.. I experienced lockups whenever trying to watch 720p or higher video with this device and eventually returned it, hopefully you will have better luck.

Search the forum for my messages, and the replies, but I thought the necessary driver was in the current version of LinHES.

[edit] Actually, I just looked and didn't find the conversation I was thinking of. It must have been held on the irc channel.. So, I suggest you join the #linhes channel and ask there. It doesn't seem like people are answering forum questions very often at this time.. I still remember being told that the driver was going to be included in the next version, and that version is a couple revs back now.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:35 am 
Thanks for your comments wsuetholz. I'm pretty sure the driver is not included, but if it is, it would be nice to have some direction as to how to add it/activate it or where to formally submit the request for addition to the next build.

I have since taken another path with the 330i. I've installed minimyth via pxe boot. They have been very responsive to requests and added the Attansic driver to their build.

As far as your experience with the hardware, let me assure you that it is quite capable of at least 720p and can use vdpau. I'm still tweaking the audio settings, but the video is nice and smooth without causing the on board fan to spin up. I guess flash based video will be another matter, but that remains to be seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:38 am 
I have this box network booting but experience random complete machine freezes when skipping ahead on a program. Sometimes it will be fine other times I am afraid to press the ff button, it rarely happens on auto commercial skips but is quite regular when I press skip forward. I get no info out of the log files they just stop, I have watched top via ssh and then had it happen, no spike in memory or cpu usage (of course top also freezes)

Any suggestions, Is it working well from a hard disk as I am considering going that route. Oh it is a hardwired network connection.

Craig

Post subject: Success with minimyth FE
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:52 am 
I can offer my experiences with the Foxconn 330 , but they are not vanilla LinHES.

Running LinHES R6.03 on the FE/BE.

Running minimyth-0.23.1-74 on the Foxconn. (No HD, just RAM, PXE boot) I have no issues with this box aside from minor issue with display driver that messes with Overscan that appears after a few weeks of moderate to heavy use. This issue is resolved by rebooting the Frontend.

If you'd like me to share my config, since it is not purely LinHES, just ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:24 pm 
Just an add on I ordered a hard drive for this box but in the mean time updated to myth .24 and low and behold my freezups are gone, I can fast forward to my hearts content. I now have a very small hardrive that I will likely not install. very happy with this box now.

Craig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:02 pm 
Old thread, but relevant to my situation. I am trying to get a Foxconn 330i running. I am having two distinct problems:

1. When I have heavy network traffic and I am playing a show, the entire system will randomly lockup and I have to do a hard-reset to reboot. The problem only appears to happen when I start playback.

2. If I keep the network quiet things are stable, but the audio "crackles". I am using the OSS driver.

My install is LINHES 6.04. Any suggestions from your experiences?

The views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.