View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: 6.03 as a Live CD?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:35 am 
I'm trying to run the 6.03 CD as a Live CD and test playback of videos already on my current Knoppmyth R5.5 hard drive. At this point, I can't get past the initial live LinHES configuration.

After the initial IP address setup, I keep getting "Could not connect to the master backend server" message popping up every 10 seconds.

Is this a known problem with a prescribed workaround?

I first tried DHCP for the eth0 IP address and got the error.
Next reboot, I tried a static IP address, and got the error.
During setup, what I am supposed to enter in the MySQL box?
The box comes up as blank.
Should I enter the IP address of eth0?
I have also tried 127.0.0.1 for the MySQL box. That also results in "Could not connect..."

Advice appreciated,
Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Last edited by neutron68 on Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:53 pm 
As long as the backend is configured as a MBE, you should have no issues using the CD as a live frontend.
Select Run Frontend from the menu after booting.
Configure the network or use DHCP.
Note:You can use <alt><x> to open an xterm to ensure you can ping the MBE. Additionally, you can try and connect to it using mysql.
If all is in order, you should be able to select the MBE from the list (if not have it there automatically). Should you encounter any errors, you can manual run mythfrontend. Additionally, if you need to, you can copy mysql.txt from /usr/MythVantage/templates/mysql.txt to /root/mythtv. Edit it so it has the IP of your backend and try to run the frontend again.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:10 pm 
It kinda sounds like the 6.03 cd is meant to run as a FE rather than a BE?
I am trying to follow tjc's advice and use the 6.03 live CD to view video files located on my R5.5 FE/BE hard drive.
Quote:
It might be worth playing with the 6.03 live CD without doing the install or upgrade. Boot it up, mount the /myth partition, and try pointing the built in player at the files as "videos". If that works you've got at least one alternative. I did lots of experiments with the live CD before doing my own upgrade and learned things that saved me a lot of grief.

So, I'm turning off the R5.5 machine, putting the cd into it, and booting with the cd. After the setup, I keep getting the connection errors - maybe because, it can't connect to itself?

I thought the cd would act as the BE, but maybe it doesn't need to be the BE to play files on my R5.5 hard drive? I'd ask tjc directly, but I think he is still out on Christmas vacation.

Eric

KnoppMyth R5.5, Asus A8N-VM CSM (nvidia 6150 onboard video), AMD Athlon 64 dual-core 4200+, two 1GB sticks DDR 400, HD-3000 HDTV card, PVR-150 card, Iguanaworks RS-232 IR receiver/transmitter, Pioneer DVR-110 DVD burner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:35 pm 
The CD is only meant to operate as a live frontend. While you can get it to work as a live backend (I've done so myself), this isn't something that we support out the box. When running live, memory is used for storage. So, you don't really have much room to store recordings.

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!