View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:58 pm 
Have been trying to install LinHES on an HP Pavilion a250n with no success. During startup it freezes at: "Setting Consoles to UTF-8 mode". I have tried R6.01, R6.03, and also the new version R7 test. I started the install for R5F27 with no problems.

Have tried with on-board video and Gefore2 card still same problem. Also tried removing tuner card, and clearing CMOS, still same problem.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

System:
HP Pavilion a250n
Asus P4SD-LA
1GB 2700 DDR
Vid: e-Geforce2 MX4000 64MB DDR AGP
Tuner: Asus C1VA82

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:49 am 
Hello

The Geforce 2 is no longer supported by the Nvdia Graphics Driver for Linux that's in Linhes. You need a more modern graphics card such as an AGP Nvdia 5200 or 6200.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:34 pm 
Don't see how the video card could affect the locale config, but I put in a GeForce 6200 anyway and still have the same problem.

My understanding of the issue is that it is trying to configure something about the character/string handling in the terminals, maybe trying to set something that the hardware cannot handle? Is there any way around this so that I can continue the install, and if so, will it cause issues later in setup and use?

Thanks.

System:
HP Pavilion a250n
Asus P4SD-LA
1GB 2700 DDR
Vid: Geforce 6200 512MB DDR2 AGP
Tuner: Asus C1VA82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:51 pm 
dloug28460 wrote:
Don't see how the video card could affect the locale config, but I put in a GeForce 6200 anyway and still have the same problem.

You are correct: It could not be your video card. I was curious so Googled your problem (highlighted and right-clicked the search Google)
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=659718

Sounds like your problem, all right. Seems to be an archlinux-specific one.

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:12 am 
I've tried holding a key during the boot, but I'm not sure which part of the boot that it needs to be pressed or which key to press.

Is a rollback possible in LinHes?

Is LinHes based on archlinex?

Thanks, for the help.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:06 pm 
dloug28460 wrote:
I've tried holding a key during the boot, but I'm not sure which part of the boot that it needs to be pressed or which key to press.

Is a rollback possible in LinHes?

Is LinHes based on archlinex?

Thanks, for the help.

The key they refer to is probably shift (well, it is for Ubuntu - not near my LinHES box ATM), but could be Ctrl (worked on older version of KM). That is if it's the one to engage the grub menu between the BIOS check and booting the kernel.

Yes, LinHES is Arch Linux.

Yes, you can "roll back" the kernel by selecting an older one in the grub menu (if an older one has been installed at some stage).

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:47 pm 
Thanks for the response.

Still no luck - tried both keys around the boot after the BIOS check and when the LinHes installation/live cdrom starts. Pressing the shift key around the boot from BIOS, it then shows a boot: prompt - letting it time out or pressing enter, it still freezes when it gets to setting UTF-8 mode.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:24 am 
I found the problem - when I remove the Asus P4DS-LA/PVR-416 tuner board, it boot up correctly and allows the install to run and complete. If I install the tuner board after the LinHes installation, it freezes at the same area of the boot. Either the board is bad or incompatible.

The next problem is that after completing the installation of 6.03, the frontend cannot connect to the backend. My current KnoppMyth system, which this one is intended to replace, is R5a16 I think, and has two PVR-250 boards. I recall something about the installation that if there is no tuner board, the backend doesn't start or load properly. During this installation of 6.03 with no tuner board installed, I configured it to use my HDHomerun and when it is done, it keeps showing a message that it cannot find the backend. Does this make sense, is it no longer true, or is there a way around this to allow installation without a tuner board for later setup using the HDHomerun?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:50 am 
Hey dloug,

How did you setup the system? Frontend Only, or Combined Frontend/Backend? I'm curious as you mention an R5A16 system and I'm not sure if you're trying to connect to that or if you are using 6.03 as standalone. If you are trying to connect to the R5A16 it's probably because they're far different versions of mythtv.

If it's a combined frontend/backend then maybe this is a silly question, but do you have the ethernet connected to a router/switch or something? Although my system is set to have a static IP address, I have noticed it hiccups if the Ethernet cable is disconnected because it will not assign the IP address to the card unless a cable is connected.

I'm not sure about the your question about a backend without tuners, but there may be some information in your backend log.
Code:
sudo vim /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log

or to get just the last few lines:
Code:
sudo tail /var/log/mythtv/mythtbackend.log