|6.01 upgrade problems
|Page 1 of 1|
|Author:||psicard [ Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:32 pm ]|
|Post subject:||6.01 upgrade problems|
I'm trying to upgrade my R5.5 system to R6 and based on the advice I've seen here, I decided to upgrade to 6.01.
Before upgrading, I edited fstab to use UUIDs. After booting from the 6.01 CD, going through the upgrade process, and rebooting, my /myth partition (on sdb1 in R5.5) is not mounted (I've done it about 6 times at this point and it's never mounted). Instead, another partition (/dev/sda3 I think) is mounted as /myth.
Since my /myth partition was not remounted, I re-edit /etc/fstab, reboot, and restore from the Service menu. I think this is where things start to go wrong.
I've done several things in my attempts that have caused me to reboot (for example running mythVodka or trying to upgrade to 6.02) and when I reboot, X doesn't load.
I get the the RgbPath error that Chael had http://linhes.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20391&highlight=RgbPath
When I fix that, I get an xmessage dialog that says fbsetbg:can't find wallpaper /usr/local/lib/knoppmyth.jpg.
When I fix that, I get a bunch of Mythfrontend failures in the logs and the frontend won't start.
So, I'm thinking that when I restore the backup, I'm writing over new R6/Arch settings with R5.5/KM settings and really mucking things up. But, since my /myth partition is mounting properly when upgrading, I'm not sure how else I can upgrade without losing everything.
|Author:||RacerX [ Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:54 pm ]|
Please read this post
It explains the need to update UUID before your update.
|Author:||psicard [ Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:36 am ]|
As I said in my original post, before upgrading, I edited fstab to use UUIDs.
FWIW: After editing fstab, and before upgrading, I rebooted to make sure there were no errors.
|Author:||RacerX [ Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:33 am ]|
Sorry about that UUID
When I did the migration 5.5 to R6 upgrade I remember that all the permissions didn't carry over correctly. Check out "policykit" in the forum.
The migration for me was successful I did the restore and it worked. But I still had to clean up the permissions.
|Author:||tjc [ Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:45 am ]|
Yeah, on top of the device naming changes, the users and groups files changed and the uid/gid values on old partitions don't seem to line up nicely. The upgrade should take care of that, but it only works if it recognizes your old /myth directory/partition.
When I finally converted from R5.5 to R6.03, it was by installing to a new disk, copying things over from an external backup drive, and doing a partial DB restore to get the meta data back. All of the copied media files and directories needed their ownership tweaked to match the new uids.
|Page 1 of 1||All times are UTC - 6 hours|
|Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group