View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:50 pm 
Hello,
I have already switched my FE's from MythBuntu network booting to LinHES HD booting. Now it is time to start contemplating switching the BE device. I'm mostly concerned with the recording schedules, and the recorded programs, since I never really got around to getting my stored videos loaded into the database, plus I was thinking about backing up my DVD's fresh, using the full ISO copy instead of the reencode to AVI method. I realize that it would probably be best to configure my tuners from scratch..

Anyways, my BE configuration is:

1 PVR-500 with daughter card for two SD inputs. Not using analog tuner one port is hooked up to a LVD player, and the other is hooked to a S-VHS player.

3 HD-HomeRun OTA devices configured with 4 virtual tuners per physical tuner.

I presently have 8 SATA drives online running a mixture of Raid schemes.
I believe that my boot drive is set up for straight mirroring, but the data drives are set up for a more complicated configuration.

I have two fresh 2TB HD's for this conversion, and will be using an old IDE 100GB HD for the boot drive.

I want to do the install in such a way that it will be easy later on to get the power saving sleep/wakeup stuff working. As well as WOL.

I am thinking seriously about doing away with the raid configuration entirely.. (I can't make up what passes for my mind on this :-)

The current system does regular backups of the database, but I'll need to remember the command to dump the database.. Maybe I should be dumping specific tables individually? I am really looking for what tables I should be grabbing for doing this conversion.

Sorry for rambling a bit.. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:09 pm 
Did you get this squared away?

When the source is open, the possibilities are endless!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:29 am 
Sorry for the late reply, But, I've now got this whole thing scheduled for next week.

No, I have not really resolved this entirely.

And, since I originally posted, I managed to get the jamu script working enough to load most of the video metadata, so now I wan't to save that information as well..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:32 am 
I also inquired on IRC #mythtv-users, and wagnerrp was kind enough to respond.

He recommends just doing a full restore, he suggested that for the leftover machine names that are in the database, that the settings table should be looked at. However, he also said that doing direct manipulation of the tables is not recommended.
After the full restore, in order to accomplish what I want to do for the tuners, he says that just doing the remove all tuners and readd them in the order that I want. I'm going to have to find the notes on how to add the HDHR tuners such that they go T1V1, T2V1, T3V1, T4V1, T5V1, T6V1, T1V2, T2V2, T2V3, ... You get the idea.. Then at the end do PVR-500 Composite 1, PVR-500 S-Video 1, PVR-500 Composite 2, PVR-500 S-Video 2. I need to make sure that the channel numbers for the last are higher then any of the HDHR channels defined.

I'm still not totally convinced that this is the best route to follow.. Maybe do the above and see if it works, I can always back it up again and then do my selective restore later.

Then to switch to storage groups, he said it was as simple as
1) remove the folders from the local definitions in the backend
2) add the folders to the Videos storage group in mythtv-setup

I'm going to do more research into the Storage groups in Myth as part of this..

Post subject: All Done
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:33 am 
Hello,
I have now done this. I found that I just needed a recordings and movie metadata backup, I'll post the sql's later. I also did a full database backup as well.

One word of warning. The installation package(6.03) I started with does not deal with the new large HD's that have 4k blocks. It still starts on sector 63. I'm going to have to reinstall now. The system has not been performing well, and mythbackend has been locking up frequently, where I can't even do a reboot because the /myth partition is unmountable. In doing my research, it seems that this is caused by my new install being done on 2TB WD EAR HD's that have 4K sector sizes rather than the 512B.
I started with 6.03 because I was moving from a 0.23.1 system, and with that version I wouldn't have to worry about the move to 0.24.

I have also found out that my family is extremely resistant to having the machine down.

And my wife hates it....