View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:46 am 
Ok, I have been testing a backend/frontend 6.04 setup using diskless for the frontend. The script works great and I'm 95% of the way there. My problem is sound doesn't work on the frontend.

I did an install of 6.04 with a drive in the system I'm using for a frontend to make sure sound works, and it does when running in this manner.

So my question is how do I get the sound config/modules etc to work when it is booting diskless?

If you need information I can provide, but sorta hoping for a more general answer so that others who may be in similar situation can follow general steps to get their frontends configured correctly.

I will have other questions shortly about the best upgrade path (r5f27 to linHESS 6.04) with 300+ Gig of recordings on a single IDE drive to a split IDE for / and SATA for /myth later, but I need to make sure I can do a proof of theory in getting diskless set up and running rock solid first.

So, again, what items/files to I need to make note of and copy to my diskless frontend system to get sound working properly?

Amos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:06 am 
Because the hardware is different what you need to make an image of your frontend and then copy it to the backend. The diskless script will use this snapshot image and your sound will work properly. This works fine but every time the Linhes version changes you will need to make an image of the frontend and then copy iit to the backend.

If you contrast this with the way the Linhes updates have been going (cd to script) . Diskless is cool but the Linhes updates via a script is super fast and very low maintance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:41 am 
RacerX wrote:
Because the hardware is different what you need to make an image of your frontend and then copy it to the backend. The diskless script will use this snapshot image and your sound will work properly.

I tried doing this using rsync to copy / off of the "working" system (all be it stand alone) and the script asks if I want to "Delete it and rebuild it from scratch" Which I don't want to do as that puts me back where I started doesn't it?

RacerX wrote:
This works fine but every time the Linhes version changes you will need to make an image of the frontend and then copy iit to the backend.

If you contrast this with the way the Linhes updates have been going (cd to script) . Diskless is cool but the Linhes updates via a script is super fast and very low maintance...

I'm not sure if I made my plans clear as I don't plan on putting this diskless frontend into "production" until after I have moved onto the 6.x (probably not till up to 6.04 in actuality). Does this procedure need done even in the 6.x line for upgrades, if so it seems pointless to run diskless.

In my testing I had at one point installed 6.02 and set up diskless from that version, then updated the backend using the script, then did the same on the frontend (funny I actually couldn't upgrade the diskless till the backend had been upgraded and had downloaded the packages). So I was figuring that once the fe/be setup is in place in the 6.x line updates via the scripts are all that is needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:14 pm 
Here is a post I wrote a while back when I was using the diskless script. It may help you out in your testing.

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20655

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:06 am 
RacerX wrote:
Here is a post I wrote a while back when I was using the diskless script. It may help you out in your testing.

http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20655

Awesome!! That will be so helpful when I get some more time to try this.

One question though. I'm assuming the frontend should be installed as a frontend and be working with the backend before imaging, not just a quick install?

I'm also thinking would it make sense to pull the fstab from the backend image before blowing it away and then use that one to replace the one in the image that gets unpacked? (ie make this step 7.5 and step 10 is placing the backed up fstab into the proper location over-writing the one created in the system image).

I think that is my last question on the diskless. With this information I think I've got enough to move forward with my testing, then after the testing upgrading my current system once I have the steps in place for that. But that will be the topic of another post.

Thanks for the great information.

Amos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:36 am 
Just do a full install and customize it like you want with firefox, etc so the machine is setup how you like it. Then pack it up with the diskless script.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:48 am 
RacerX wrote:
Just do a full install and customize it like you want with firefox, etc so the machine is setup how you like it. Then pack it up with the diskless script.

Awesome, got this working over the weekend. Frontend has sound and everything in my test-bed is working as I'd like to before adding on other things (base functionality is there which is my main concern).

Now to post about the rest of the pieces of the puzzle in another thread.

Thanks again RacerX!!