View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:52 pm 
Hi all - I have finally made the jump from KM R5.5 to LinHES and I have one sticky problem. I upgraded to 6.01 which actually went very well, once I upgraded the Nvidia drivers to support my card (Nvidia GEforce GT520).

However after doing some further setup in the Service Menu now X won't start, and of course mythfrontend won't start. What is odd is that I didn't change most items, I just got in the menus and then hit "cancel", but it seemed to be doing something anyway.

Given the combination of /etc/inittab and /etc/runit I can't seem to figure out what script or daemon starts X.

I can log in to the console and run "startx" by hand and get a window with 3 xterms and a clock.

As I was planning to upgrade to 6.04 and then 7.1 anyway I did those, thinking maybe that would fix the problem, but it remains.

I can tell from the Xorg.0.log that it's not even trying to start up X at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:18 pm 
I may have figured this out. I notice that the startup items in /var/service are links to directories in /etc/sv. I added a link to the directory "frontend" and it started right up!

I'm not completely sure if this is the proper way to do it, but it does seem to fit in with the scheme of runit and it does work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:20 am 
Hm based on this post:
http://knoppmyth.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22153
I'm wrong starting it by /var/services. It should start when the mythtv users is auto-logged in.

So now the question is - why isn't the mythtv user being auto-logged in? Where does this bit of magic happen in the startup sequence?