View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: R7.2 First Impressions
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:11 pm 
Last week I tried to upgrade from 6.04 to 7.1 but after 3 days I decided to forget the online update and just get the iso. By this time Version 7.2 available so I decided to go that way instead. Lately I been having trouble successfully completing a backup. So I tried and tried and finally I successfully completed the backup in 6.04. :lol:

What I didn't realize that the change from 6.04 to 7.2 was similar to 5.5 to 6.0. It's pretty major. When I preformed the iso upgrade it formatted SDA1. In some ways that good thing. Because it's like a fresh start. So the upgrade did it's thing. My system came backup up with 7.2. A little info I have a storage group with 4 drives and I'm using XBMC. I could see that I was going to have a few hurdles.

First, the upgrade created a new FSTAB that did not include my 4 drives it only had the boot drive. So I had to dig up the UUID's and XFS and recreate my four drives. I haven't done this in while so it was a bit of pain. I wish I would have made a copy before I did the upgrade.

Second, I had to remount the drives so I set them up as SDB4, SDC1, SDD1, SDE1. This also required an edit to one drive of the storage group and a change to myth setup. I would have liked to see the storage group and myth setup before the upgrade.

Third, with my drives all working and the storage group up I would now work on packages. The plain vanilla build doesn't have much. So I downloaded Pacman -S XBMC. This package is sharp. It is the latest version just like in Windows and it creates a Button for XBMC right next to "Watch Recordings". I also downloaded Pacman -S chromium. because Firefox is missing unfortunately.

Fourth, because I'm using a mixed network I need Samba. So Pacman -S Samba. The package installed fine but I wish I had my SMB.conf file because I had to create my shares from scratch for the storage group so XBMC can see the drives.

Fifth, chromium works but once again it's plain vanilla. How do you kick off chromium from the keyboard shortcut like Firefox CTL-X? Where are the plugin's located. There is no Adobe Flash, Reader, or Java. It's too restricted.

Finally, I like the fresh start of 7.2. However, there is a lot to configure if you have XBMC and Storage Goups. So keep that mind.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:39 pm 
You can edit:
Code:
/usr/share/mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/is.xml

Change Firefox to Chromium and set the action to:
Code:
<action>EXEC /usr/bin/chromium</action>

and you'll have it.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:41 pm 
As someone on the verge of moving to 7.2, this was useful information. I also use cifs (samba) to mount my network shares so I will watch for this. But perhaps I should switch to nfs anyway so things like mythmusic will work better.

Does XMBC require Samba or is that just what you happened to have set up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:48 am 
christ wrote:
I also use cifs (samba) to mount my network shares so I will watch for this. But perhaps I should switch to nfs anyway so things like mythmusic will work better.

NFS is a pain unless you plan your UID's ahead of time on all your machines. All my network shares are Samba and they work just fine with Mythmusic.

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:51 am 
Martian wrote:
All my network shares are Samba and they work just fine with Mythmusic.

Interesting. I have had nothing but grief but my Samba was an older version (circa CentOS 4) and I understood it had significant issues with Music file formats. I have a very large collection and MythMusic has completely choked on it.

Thanks for the data point of success, I'll re look at this. BTW, how large is your collection? I wonder if size is an issue. Yes I just said that with a straight face!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:42 am 
To clarify

Quote:
You can edit:
Code:

/usr/share/mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/is.xml

I know, but the XBMC package does it for you it's sharp.

Can you explain this ....Fluxbox?

Quote:
Change Firefox to Chromium and set the action to:
Code:

<action>EXEC /usr/bin/chromium</action>

After installing the Samba Package I edited the following with nano.

Code:
/etc/samba/smb.conf

Setup your shares at the end of the file. Here are my shares

/myth2
/myth3
/myth4
/myth5

With XBMC you can setup the sources from the network for tunes, videos, shows. I played songs and shows and they work fine across the wired network on different computers on the network. If I had a lot of tunes I could segment them by theme I suppose or type and then put them on different shares or even drives. I have done this for shows. Old ones on different drives. When my library loads it's works fine without a lag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:01 am 
My bad I was thinking menu .....

Have you seen this?
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18571&highlight=add+fluxbox+key

Hope that helps.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:38 pm 
christ wrote:
Thanks for the data point of success, I'll re look at this. BTW, how large is your collection? I wonder if size is an issue. Yes I just said that with a straight face!

At 50GB my collection falls square in the "compensating for something" size range (didn't manage a straight face on that one). It resides on an Arch Linux server sporting a Core2Due E6750, 2 GB RAM, and two 1 TB drives in a RAID 1. Samba is able to max out the drives on a GigE connection at close to 120 MB/s (byte not bit). I also store a fair amount of video and many virtual machine images on this box all shared out via samba and it never misses a beat.

Martian

Vizio 37" LCD HDTV (1080p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:52 pm 
Martian,
I updated Samba about 2 weeks ago and then switched all my previous symbolic links to bind mounts. Rescanned today and now everything seems in much better shape.

In general I use Samba as well without issue which also involves VMs, video, etc. I suspect a combination of old Samba (which had reported troubles such as I saw) and perhaps the symbolic links created issues.

Thanks for speaking up and saving me some potentially unnecessary work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:29 am 
I assume LinHES 7.2 is all the updates for 7.1 plus the MythTV 0.24.2 updates.
Dos anyone have the md5 hash for 7.2?
Mine comes up as

LinHES_R7.2.iso
822174b794fc6a112295ba73cacbc0bb

TVBox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:28 am 
I checked out the MD5 for the 7.2 ISO I have and here it is

822174b794fc6a112295ba73cacbc0bb LinHES_R7.2.iso

FYI

I downloaded it on 1/27/2012 right before the hardware problems that affected all the links (alias) started :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:10 pm 
TVBox wrote:
I assume LinHES 7.2 is all the updates for 7.1 plus the MythTV 0.24.2 updates.

Close. I just double checked with the devs and it was a little bit prior to 0.24.2 but not much earlier.

Note they just pick up the latest 0.24-fixes version when they cut a new release. 0.24.2 is a cumulative update release of -fixes.