View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: LinHES NFS
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:23 pm 
Just installed version 7.2.

Used the option in setup to utilize a central NFS share. The NFS connection was made, but the /myth directory was nearly empty once setup was complete, and even after a reboot (only /myth/ipodfeed and /myth/export). I proceeded to create the folders needed manually, but I began to notice something strange. I am new to Arch, but I thought that Arch, being Linux, that it would follow the same conventions as the other distributions, but maybe that is a false assumption. I saw the following:

drwxr-xr-x 2 65534 65534 4096 Apr 10 23:58 tv

but another directory had this:

drwxr-xr-x 2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Apr 10 08:44 pretty

I thought this was an ownership problem, so I attempted to use chown, but when I issue the command:

sudo chown mythtv:mythtv /myth/tv

It says

chown: changing the ownership of '/myth/tv': Operation not permitted

Is this because the directories are mounted on an NFS share? What does the 65534 signify for the directories? There is only one directory that is listed with mythtv ownership, but all the directories that I created, plus the ones that seemed to have been auto-magically created have a "numeric" ownership.

How do I clean this up and get the folders operating as intended for MythTV? Right now, even live TV is not working, I assume due to some permissions or ownership issue with the folder I created for it. Please let me know what I should do. Please don't be afraid to be specific, as I am new to LinHES, and only mildly familiar with Linux in general.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: LinHES NFS
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:09 am 
Any help on this? Can someone even point me to the documentation where the group and user permissions are mentioned and what the significance is for them being numeric instead of an actual user or group? I cannot find any online Arch resources where the user and groups being set to a numeric value is discussed and what affect that has on NFS and other types of mounts in existing folder structures.

Post subject: Re: LinHES NFS
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:56 pm 
Site Admin
Does the nfs share mount correctly on other LinHES boxes?

65534 65534 is the uid and gid of the files. Those look like the standard nfsnobody uid/gid of NAS servers and some other linux distros. They are showing up as numbers on the LinHES system, because it lacks matching uid->username mapping.

Quote:
chown: changing the ownership of '/myth/tv': Operation not permitted

This would occur because of how the the Central NFS machine is sharing, or how the LinHES box mounted the share.

Please provide details on the cental NFS server, and the output of the "mount" command on the LinHES box.