View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:06 am 
Last night I installed LinHES R8 Test Jan 12, '13 on an extra machine. Other than an initial install failure (mv_install error), it installed flawlessly. A short google inquiry got me back on track from the error- I had to make sure all partitions were deleted on the HDD to be used for install.

One feature I was mightily impressed with was the add_storage.py script. I ran it, it identified the second HDD, and installed it no problem. One question I have is, does this expand storage for all directories (tv, video, music, photos, etc...), or just tv? Does this also create a storage group? I'll have to go back into setup and check on that.

I can't express how excited I am anticipating the release of R8! From what I can tell so far, it is a HUGE improvement from the R4 days and on. Thank you to Cecil and all the folks that help to develop LinHES. Your hard work makes my life a little easier!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm 
Thats funny, I also just posted about how awesome the add_storage.py script is. This scrip is actually part of 7.4 (and probably 7.3) Here is my thread about it

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23685&p=136982#p136982

Any other observations on R8 when compared to 7.2/7.3/7.4?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:45 pm 
Site Admin
I was hoping that partition error was finally resolved, but I guess some will still have. Do you have any more details ?

Quote:
"One question I have is, does this expand storage for all directories (tv, video, music, photos, etc...), or just tv? Does this also create a storage group? I'll have to go back into setup and check on that."

Yes it will create storage groups for you. Which ones I can not say for sure, because that particular point has had several revisions/bugfixes.

For certain if this was a Masterbackend, it would have created all the storage groups for you and added them to the database.
Unfortunately not all of MythTV is SG capable, so it only created SGs for the following:
Recorded TV
LiveTV
Streaming (used by mythexpress, part of the local website)
Videos.
At this point photos,games,music are not SG ready. Might be a good idea for add_storage to create those dir for the future, but at the same time that might create confusion.

The format of the new drive was selected based off the data partition format selected during install.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:41 pm 
Quote:
I was hoping that partition error was finally resolved, but I guess some will still have. Do you have any more details ?

I used an old Western Digital IDE 160GB HDD, and set it as boot drive in the BIOS. I went through the install screens (which are brilliant by the way) and clicked "install to wd sda" (or what 'ere it says). I received the mv_install error right away during several attempts. I then googled the error, and found the suggested resolution being to remove all partitions. I did so via fdisk. After a couple more unsuccessful attempts, I plugged in a Seagate 80GB SATA HDD (listed as first boot HDD in BIOS), fdisked to remove partitions, and tried to install again. The first attempt failed, but the second one brought success!

Quote:
The format of the new drive was selected based off the data partition format selected during install.

I will have to check, but I believe this to be true.

Quote:
Any other observations on R8 when compared to 7.2/7.3/7.4?

I have only used up to R7.2. When I found out about the add storage script I was tickled pink (I saw your post and chuckled)! I have not had a chance to really dive into it yet (I was using that precious time between kids being put to bed and my bedtime). One thing I did notice- when I went into Apple Trailers the video juxtaposed itself down into the bottom right hand corner of the display, clipping off a big chunk of it. Not sure what was going on there. I left it on overnight, and it recorded programs just fine.

I wonder when R8 will be released? :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:22 am 
I was curious to see how this new version would handle iso's so I loaded one via "DVD backup" Saturday night. The DVD menu was jerky and pixelated, but when I played the movie it was flawless. I decided to try another one the next day, but this time the results were horrid. The DVD menu was unreadable, and when I blindly clicked through to play, the movie was as well. The movie that had worked the night before was not working either. I know that in past iterations of MythTV iso's did not work with storage groups. Does this hold true for .25? Is there support for blu-ray?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:01 am 
Site Admin
Encrypted ISOs will not work via storage groups, but unencrypted will.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:52 pm 
Question on R8. I know that R8 will add new partitions and change the default size of others. Does that mean that R8 will be fresh install only, or will there eventually be some type of upgrade option ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:56 pm 
Site Admin
It's a fresh install only, but it's possible to bring all the R7 data to the R8 install.

http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/Upgrading_LinHES_R7X_to_R8