View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:34 pm 
I tried to upgrade from 7.2 to 7.3 using the cd. After the restarts the database upgrade never completes. It keeps re-running the script that backs up the database prior to upgrading. Then the conversion fails, and the backup starts again so it's getting no where ...

Directory listing of mythconverg files is here
I am concerned with the different file sizes and assume the the first two listing are the best

Here is the output from mythbackend when it tries to start and the upgrade fails.

Also how do I keep it from continuing to make backups?

I tried a restore from the backup prior to the upgrade but no luck. Also wondering if I can just do a upgrade install of 7.2 and then restore the backup?

Any ideas? Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:12 pm 
I don't think that you are there yet but you can do a partial restore using this http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Bac ... f_a_backup. It only keeps the most important stuff in your database like the shows you have recorded and what you want recorded. When i had to do my Partial restore I found it helpful to use a virtual machine on my Windows computer so that my Myth box could keep on running in the other room while I argued with MySQL about upgrading in a virtual machine. VirtualBox is free and lets you take snapshots that you can roll back to. These take up a signifigant amount of space when you start making fall back points. Just do a clean install of 7.2 in a virtual machine and restore your database and try upgrading from there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:58 am 
mattbatt,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did a upgrade install from a 7.2 CD and then ran a restore from the menu. Restarted and most everything worked. I had to redo the udev rules for some reason that is not backed up with the system backup.

At least I'm functional and running. Will have to check out VirtualBox it sounds interesting. Judging from the messages when it was trying upgrade the current database:
Code:
2013-03-04 19:04:40.145727 C  Newest MythTV Schema Version : 1299
2013-03-04 19:04:40.148858 C  Upgrading to MythTV schema version 1277
2013-03-04 19:04:40.149205 E  DB Error (Performing database upgrade):
Query was: ALTER TABLE record ADD COLUMN filter INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT 0;
Error was: Driver error was [2/1060]:
QMYSQL: Unable to execute query
Database error was:
Duplicate column name 'filter'

new version: 1277
2013-03-04 19:04:40.149244 E  Database Schema upgrade FAILED, unlocking.
2013-03-04 19:04:40.149361 E  Couldn't upgrade database to new schema

sounds like I really need to let it create a new empty database and then do a partial restore. Not quite sure how to accomplish that.

I also found this link.

Sounds like it might be applicable.
I also noticed that mythweather was not installed so I tried to install it and got the following message.
Code:
[root@mythtv2 ~]# pacman -Sy mythweather
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: mythtv and mythvideo are in conflict. Remove mythvideo? [y/N]
:: mythtv and myththemes are in conflict. Remove myththemes? [y/N] n
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: mythtv and myththemes are in conflict

Should I remove both of these? So I'm thinking that this is the problem with the upgrade as well.
Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

TIm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:19 pm 
Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:34 pm 
Site Admin
it's safe to remove both of them

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:12 pm 
Ok i've removed them but my system is still not were I want to be. It's looking like a partial restore is what I'm going to have to do.

I would like to know if this will work.

Do a database Backup
Copy myth/ to another drive
Do a full fresh install of 7.3 let it create the new database then do a partial restore of the 7.2 backup to the 7.3 database.

Will that work?

Oor do I need to create the new database on 7.2 do the partial backup into that. then back up the partially restored version. Then do the fresh install, drop the new database, replace it with the 7.2 partially restored database and then let setup upgrade it?

Then copy back myth/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:50 pm 
I had a nasty DB upgrade problem while trying to go from 6.04 to 7.4. It seems like the root issue is that too many different components are competing with each other to upgrade the schema. It's an ugly case of too many cooks spoiling the broth. It kept making backups and restarting over and over and over and ... and running out of disk space, and ... and filling up logs files and hanging, and ...

I finally fixed it in a rather heavy handed way by killing all the myth components and making sure that they we're getting restarted, then dropping the schema, recreating it, doing a restore from the db backup (after hiding the file system stuff), and starting JUST a single mythbackend.process from the command line. That finally did the job and after it completed and the machine was restarted everything seemed more or less sane. IIRC I had to kill some process that got stuck before it would finish too.

Last edited by tjc on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:52 pm 
I had to do a backup of my 7.3 a partial restore into a clean 7.3 then upgraded from there.