View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:48 am 
I was trying to update the operating system on my machine. After some previous failures of going from 6.04 to 7.4 due to database incompatibilities I decided to do it in smaller steps. I tried to upgrade from 6.04 to 7.00.01 but it hung while copying files. When I decided to revert to 6.03 by CD obviously I had lost my setup so I had to go through initial setup stuff. When I finish the process the installation goes through OK but Linhes fails to start on the reboot. It gets stuck in runit stage 2. I have tried numerous times with the 6.03 and the 7.00.01 (it works now) CDs and the same thing happens. I am inputting passwords for root, mythtv and another account, although I am using the same password for each.

I attach a photo of what's going on behind alt+F1 which shows a lot of comments about "Read-only file system" which makes me think it's a permissions issue.

Can anyone help?

Attachments
IMG_20130928_175824.jpg
IMG_20130928_175824.jpg [ 144.87 KiB | Viewed 11090 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:09 pm 
I should mention the boot process always hangs at 71%.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:54 am 
Further news. I can reproduce the effect on another machine so I doubt it is hardware related.

I installed 7.00.01 on another computer with a clean disk as an upgrade, entering all the required data. Again the installation proceeded but the reboot stalled at the same point. I then tried a full install and it went through OK and boots successfully. Therefore I conclude the option of entering the data for an upgrade does not work.

On my mythbox I also tried restoring a backup file to the / partition but it obviously does not contain the setup information for the installation process. Perhaps I shpuld copy the whole / partition onto an external drive before attempting upgrades in future.

I am now in the process of copy all my /myth directory off the disk and then do a full install - a very slow process.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:19 pm 
Well I am finally back up and running with 6.04 but it wasn't an easy process. The online update from my CD version of 6.03 to 6.04 did not behave so I ended up having to burn a 6.04 CD. Now I just have to get all the other things (epg, ssh, vnc, xorg, etc.) back the way I like them.

In future I will definitely take an image of the / partition before attempting an upgrade.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:58 am 
In my attempts to recover I find I do not have good access to pacman. I am unable to install Firefox, x11vnc and shepherd. When I look at pacman -Q none of them appear on the list. I have modified /etc/pacman.conf to point to Server = http://linhes.org/repo/i686/R6/core (and extra) but I have also tried reverting to the original knoppmyth repositories with no success.

Am I doing something wrong?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:20 am 
nicom wrote:
In my attempts to recover I find I do not have good access to pacman. I am unable to install Firefox, x11vnc and shepherd. When I look at pacman -Q none of them appear on the list. I have modified /etc/pacman.conf to point to Server = http://linhes.org/repo/i686/R6/core (and extra) but I have also tried reverting to the original knoppmyth repositories with no success.

Am I doing something wrong?
Looking at the repo it doesn't look like any of them are listed.

You mentioned that you did get R7 installed and could boot. Did you try to do a restore at that point with the backups from R6.0x? For it to work you must have the backup files in /myth/backup.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:00 pm 
Quote:
Looking at the repo it doesn't look like any of them are listed.
I just looked at the R6 repo listings and I did find shepherd and X11vnc in the extra repo. Maybe I have made a mistake in /etc/pacman.conf in my direction to extra. I will look tonight.

As for firefox, I cannot find it any of the repos including the olds. That is really strange because in the past I used pacman to install each of them.
Quote:
You mentioned that you did get R7 installed and could boot. Did you try to do a restore at that point with the backups from R6.0x?
The R7 install on my working box stopped after formatting sda1 but before it had completed copying files from the CD so it never got to run. Subsequent attempts did not complete installation, hanging at 71%. I did not try a full install on the working machine but did manage to do a full install R7 on a test machine so I didn't try restoring from the backup. I will copy over a backup file and give it a try for future reference to see if it successfully accepts the schema version which was my previous problem with R7.4.
Quote:
For it to work you must have the backup files in /myth/backup.
The entire rolling backup sequence is in the /myth/backup directory and restore functions properly with R6.04. One question I do have is "/usr/LH/bin/mythrestore.sh" the same as using the "Restore" button inside mythtv menu ("Service Menu" I think)?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:31 pm 
nicom wrote:
One question I do have is "/usr/LH/bin/mythrestore.sh" the same as using the "Restore" button inside mythtv menu ("Service Menu" I think)?
Should be but you can check /usr/share/mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/mythrestore.xml to be sure.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:15 am 
I just checked and "/usr/LH/bin/mythrestore.sh" is the same as using the "Restore" button. Thanks for lesson.

With regard to the pacman files, I have checked my /etc/pacman.conf and can find nothing wrong. The list I get from "pacman -Q" bears little resemblance to the list in the repos. I can successfully get internet connection through the internal browser so I don't know what's going on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:48 am 
Have you made sure to sync the repos and then query?
Code:
pacman -Sy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:37 pm 
Yes.
Quote:
Core is up to date
Extra is up to date
Still cannot see the packages want.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:10 pm 
Sounds like maybe the index isn't updated. You could do
Code:
pacman -U http://linhes.org/repo/i686/R6/extra/x11vnc-0.9.9-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:03 pm 
I just solved it myself. All it needed was "pacman -Syy" to tell it I really meant it. Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:56 pm 
FWIW when I had troubles upgrading from 6.03 to 7.x I eneded up installing a clean 6.03 in a virtual machine and upgrading in steps in the VM world with my backup files. Then once I got all the Schema crap worked out i backed up and did a clean install on my main system (second HD) and restored from the VM backup.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:26 pm 
VM sounds an excellent idea. I had previously read your post on your exploits but hoped it would no longer be necessary. It seems a good safe way to go. I have VM on my normal computer (to run Windows when I have to) but I will just have to do some research for LinHES.

Go to page 1, 2  Next