View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:51 am 
So I installing a fresh install of R8.1 and no matter what I did, the install would begin and my display would disappear. I thought it was that I was connected via HDMI so I a monitor with DVI and VGA and it still happened. I looked around here and the internet and found the force Vesa install but that didn't work either. I decided to record the install to see exactly where during the install I would loss the display and the install would freeze. It stopped at Setting modeline to 800x600 then I would lose display and it just freezes. It did this whether I used the default install, the no splash screen install or the force vesa install.

Still looking around I decided to see if there were any install switches/options that I could use that might help. I found one called "nomodeset". The info I found about it said this:

The newest kernels have moved the video mode setting into the kernel. So all the programming of the hardware specific clock rates and registers on the video card happen in the kernel rather than in the X driver when the X server starts.. This makes it possible to have high resolution nice looking splash (boot) screens and flicker free transitions from boot splash to login screen. Unfortunately, on some cards this doesnt work properly and you end up with a black screen. Adding the nomodeset parameter instructs the kernel to not load video drivers and use BIOS modes instead until X is loaded.

It this point I was ready to try anything, so on the 8.1 boot menu screen I choose the default and hit TAB and added nomodeset to the end of the commandline and hit ENTER.

It worked!! I got past the Setting modeline 800x600 and I got to the installation screen when I have to go through the setup wizard. Hope this helps someone else.

Oh btw, my pc doesn't have an nvidia video card.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:24 pm 
Turns out I also need the nomodeset option to boot up as well.

I added that option to the default boot locate in the /etc/default/grub file.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:46 pm 
Site Admin
Using an intel card?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:20 am 
No. The motherboard says it has AMD Dual Graphics. here is what the motherboard says its like: Support AMD Radeon HD 7670 / 7570 / 7470 graphics card.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:28 am 
Site Admin
i see, that would make sense.
AMD cards get almost no testing. But this is good info, I might make a menu option adding nomodeset

Thx for the report, it's always good to hear problems and solutions

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:33 pm 
I also have been having an install freeze at the point:
Installing Nvidia driver
Checking for nvidia-utils in cache or online
Installing current nvidia drivers
Setting modeline to 800x600
[stuck here]

I have an old Gateway Media Center (XP, AMD, ...) model GT5032. It's not clear to me what the graphics board is - probably part of the motherboard. A brief processor summary:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 4200

I tried adding the nomodeset option to the default command line and also the nomodeset=1 ... both freeze the build.

LinHES looks interesting. Thought I'd try it on an old machine before purchasing new hardware.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:50 pm 
Site Admin
The install most likely hasn't frozen, but instead has stopped due to being unable to start x.
Press alt+f2 to loging to another console and poke around.

It looks like the install thinks a nvidia card is onboard, but it's probably old enough that the drivers don't work for it. Try using the vesa driver, which is a menu option on the boot menu.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:33 pm 
Selecting vesa driver worked. On the way to a build .... Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:47 pm 
Spoke too soon ... the build died with the error:
------------------------------------------------------------
LinHES R8.1 (It isn't only a girl's name)
Mythtv source:fixes/0.27

FAILED
Running rsync-arp/image_mount/usr/new_boot
-----------------------------------------------------------

I briefly searched for similar and found this link:
http://forum.linhes.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=23797

Do I need to first wipe my disk? I am using a standard hard drive that has an old Windows file system on it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:38 pm 
Site Admin
you can try removing the old partitions and see what it does.
If it fails again email me the file /tmp/mv_debug* and /tmp/mv_install* or look in those files and see why it failed

The install doesn't really like older hardware, so it can also fail if you have less then 512MB of ram.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:04 pm 
I am wiping the disk with DBAN. It's 250G's so it will take a while ... maybe overnight. Then I'll try a rebuild.

I have 2G of memory.

Thanks for your feedback and help. It's an old machine, but still reasonably capable. The main disk (XP Media Center) crashed a few months ago, so I thought I'd experiment with loading a Linux version on the remaining extra drive. My goal is to test it with a NAS box for video storage. However, this might choke with the old hardware. But at least I'd have a taste of the Linux versions before buying new hardware.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:26 am 
Status ... DBAN "process crash" about 6 hours into the wipe operation.

Tried to rebuild LinHES ... same error as before. Tried to open another screen to poke around with alt-F2, but just a blank screen.

Retrying DBAN (estimate about a 10 hour operation). May try to boot another version of Linux. It could be I have some hardware problems. I'll re-post any possible useful information or questions.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:26 am 
Site Admin
with dban failing that would suggest a hardware problem