View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Almost there!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:35 am 
I have installed Linhes as a frontend only. During the installation process I was asked for the location of the mysql server but not for the location of the backend server. So now when I start Linhes it just loops saying that it cannot find the backend server. I guess I have missed a step but where?

If I install mythtv on a different linux distribution I am asked a series of questions which start with those pages on installation regarding country and language (which like very similar to the ones in Linhes's installation process), but the next page goes into details about mysql and backends which does not appear in Linhes.

All addresses are static, and interestingly on installation Linhes was unable to get a name from my DHCP server, not suprising as it should ask the name server for that information. By the way pings work to both the Linhes frontend and backend.

I'm sure this is an exceptionally dumb mistake on my part, ther must be lots of frontend onlys out there, I'd appreciate some guidance.

Paul

Post subject: Re: Almost there!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:26 am 
Site Admin
MythTV frontends connect to the database, and queries it for the location of the backend.

LinHES makes a few assumptions about it's setup. One of those is that a LinHES backend will be used with a LinHES frontend. As a result it assumes that the database username/password is the LinHES default. My guess is that the username/password for your database is different from the mythtv default. On the linhes machine look at /usr/share/mythtv/config.xml (/home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml should be a symlink) and make sure those values are correct for your setup.

Additionally linhes stores some of it's host specific values in the database, so those will need to be reloaded as well.
This command, run on the linhes machine, should take care of that for you.
Code:
myth_settings_wrapper.sh -c restore -t syssettings

Regarding the name, if it's a static ip then then hostname must also be given.
The hostname is typically only handed out by the DHCP server if it's also assigning an ip address.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:44 am 
Thanks Jams - am I correct in assuming the mythtv defaults are mythtv and mythtv as user and password? I think this is what is on my backend though - could this be the deaded schema problem? Where is the error log which might give me a clue on this one?

Unfortunately I don't think I can put a Linhes backend on the (remote) machine - it just does too many other jobs. It is a Debian system so obviously has 0.27 (I guess you were going to ask that)

Is the hostname fully qualified or not? machine or machine.foo.bar ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:06 am 
Site Admin
yes mythtv/mythtv is what linhes uses.

logs are located in /var/log/$DATE/
There may not be any log, as the check your seeing doesn't actually leave a log and it stops mythfrontend from starting(by design).
It's possible to open a terminal and run "mythfrontend", logs will go to the console.

The hostname can either be pride or pride.yourdomain.com , it really doesn't matter. For a linhes system it's best if it resolves, but since it's a frontend only system it doesn't come into play.

I would check basic mysql connectivity from the frontend
mysql -u mythtv -p -h $mysql_server mythconverg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:21 pm 
Thanks Jams

I should change the title, I think I am further away than I think.

First of all I can indeed connect to the mysql server - it is at 192.168.1.32 and all seems well there.

Something interesting in the logs though

2014-01-09T18:27:08.696565+00:00 fawn frontend: Exception AttributeError: AttributeError("'Logger' object has no attribute 'flush'",) in <bound method BEConnection.__del__ of <MythTV.connections.BEConnection object at 0x7f2f74a28b10>> ignored
2014-01-09T18:27:08.932752+00:00 fawn frontend: Waiting for response...
2014-01-09T18:27:08.932811+00:00 fawn frontend: Server acknowledged client
2014-01-09T18:27:08.932834+00:00 fawn frontend:

There is of course lots of this, repeating. I extracted this from fawn_messages.log, there is the same stuff in the frontend log.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:47 pm 
Hmmm, I know the problem, but I don't think this is going to work as a project. I started mythfrontend from the terminal. This let me see the errors. Linhes frontend uses version 77, the (debian wheezy) backend uses version 75. I'm totally up to date with the backend so unless debian release an update these two boxes aren't going to talk.