View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: Installation hang
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:26 pm 
I have the same symptoms as rieverjohn from a couple weeks ago. I'm trying to install LinHES 8.1.1 on fresh hardware, and the installer freezes after the message "____End Database in CHROOT____"

I've tried it on two different motherboards; both Intel G41 based. (One used DDR3 RAM, and the other, DDR2).

The machine has not completely hanged though - I can Ctrl-Alt-Fkey to different screens just fine. Doing Ctrl-Alt-F4 got me to a login prompt, so I logged in as root and poked around. In /tmp/ the log file mv_status.log has many of the lines that the installer was showing, including the ____End Database in CHROOT____ line. Immediately after this line is one more line:

______Unmounting disk______

So... if I sort the log files in /tmp/ by date, the newest log file is mythvantage_install.log

Looking inside it, the last few entries indicate the MySQL went away. Sure, if it's disk was unmounted from underneath it....

The last five lines in mythvantage_install.log are:

____End Database in CHROOT____
sh: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token ";"
sh: -c: line 1: '; } 2>&1'
______Unmounting disk______
mv_install.py exit code 0

Anyway, I can init 6 the system, and LinHES boots. Looks like I am now in the MythTV setup screens. If I pick Option 1 (General), I can go through the options, like setting my PIN and such. Option 2 is CAPTURE CARDS. Option 2 hangs and never comes back. If it matters, I use the pcHDTV card (which tickled me that their logo was on the installer screen).

This is where I'm at. Any suggestions as how to proceed?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Installation hang
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:34 pm 
Any chance you could reinstall with a Nvidia based Graphics Card?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:08 am 
I experienced the same hang as you did while installing 8.1 but the system would reboot into LinHES normally.

Like you, the Option 1 - General worked normally but the other setup options would hang. I found that in all other setup options if you use Alt-s it will start setup. IIRC in some of the setup screens you had to hit Enter after Alt-s to bring up data on the screen.

This was using a cheap foxconn motherboard with pentium cpu and intel HD2500 graphics. Once I bumbled through mythtv setup, everything seems to be working as it should.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:48 pm 
Thank you cem365lh! :D

This solved my problem. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

I had assumed that it had hanged; but really, the various options were waiting for me to hit Alt-S.

Yes, there was one screen (I forget which) where I also had to hit the Enter key to get it to activate.

One last note, to anyone else that might read this: after doing the setup, I did have to hit the Escape key as many times as I could, to get back to the initial screen. Only then did Linhes start up the MythTV backend. I am running the MythTV frontend on a different machine, and was confused as to why I kept getting a "Could not connect to backend" message. Once I escaped out to the initial screen, messages started dropping down from the top that the backend was being restarted, and the program guide data was being downloaded. Then my frontend could connect just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:50 pm 
Thank you RacerX, for the reply. As it turns out, I just wasn't going through the setup screens correctly.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:29 am 
Glad it worked for you. I only discovered it by accident after hours of frustration trying to get LinHES setup.

If a Mod or Dev is reading this thread perhaps the info can be added to the Installation Guide on the website. From RacerX comment maybe it is an Intel graphics (or non-Nividia) problem???