View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:38 pm 
So when I upgraded to R8 the threat of wiping my hard drive encouraged me to install on to an old 160gb IDE drive first and then move the partition after everything was happy. I've done for every upgrade so far ever since I lost all my recordings and database upgrading many moons ago. That was, of course, before I knew that Linhes 8.1 identifies the drives by their model number or UUID or whatever it is. How can I safely move my install partition to another drive?
I forgot to mention that my ancient drive is having issues on re-boot sometimes it tells my drive is bad and that I need to run disk check and i try but the console won't let me so I hard reboot and everything is hunky dory again. And it is LOUD too I guess bearings aren't really made to spin at 7200 RPM for 10 years!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:34 am 
The automatic backup in R8 is excellent. I have used the restore to roll back the database 1 day when a recording screws up MythWelcome several times recently. I do remember the one of the devs saying NOT to to do a full restore and only a partial restore to the database. Depending on the scale of your changes it might require a program like Clonezilla.

I really like YOUR WAY with Samba so here is MY WAY with UUID

The UUID's are in the fstab file. When you change out a drive arch hangs. In fact,, this happens when you change out any drive. Think of it as the system can't cope with the situation.. To counter this use the Knoppix 7 boot cd and then open a root console on the desktop, mount the drive, and edit fstab.

Of course if you do not know the UUID of the new drive you can use this command to find it.

Code:
blkid

Then copy the info into FSTAB, save, and then shutdown Knoppix 7

If you mess up the UUID use the Knoppix 7 CD and change it again, it's really no big

Also as time goes by the hard drive increases in magnitude the change of failure. IDE is dead, don't underestimate ths fact. Moreover, the backups of your database are on the boot drive so if it fails your better have a copy somewhere else.

Last edited by RacerX on Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:13 pm 
OK cool so I have a free partition on HD number two so I can copy partition and climb into fstab while booting from cd to change the mount points then boot to HD 2 in BIOS. That makes sense to me.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:31 pm 
Of course there are a million and 1 ways to do what you want. What I would do is actually not copy the install but rather use the system backup and then do a new install on the new drive making sure the host name is the same and restore the backup.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:30 pm 
I forgot to mention I have no place to put the 500gb of video recordings to do a full drive wipe required for the 8.1 install. That's another question why did the install need to wipe the whole drive?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:38 am 
mattbatt wrote:
That's another question why did the install need to wipe the whole drive?
Because of the new partition layout.