View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:15 am 
My second drive recently died, and I thought this would be a good opportunity to upgrade my 7.4 installation to version 8. I downloaded 8.1.1, checked the md5sum, and burned the CD. On trying to install, I get to unpacking the kernel and it immediately died with the message "initramfs unpacking failed: junk in compressed drive."

Same result on several retries with different options chosen from the initial menu ...
So I downloaded 8.1 ... same result, no joy.

This is on a Dell Optiplex 740 with an AMD Athlon 64 CPU and all of the security features disabled on the motherboard. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:26 am 
Are you attempting to upgrade from version 7.4 to 8.1 or 8.1.1?

The release notes for 8.1:
http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/R81

States:

It is NOT POSSIBLE to update to this release with versions older then R8.0. This applies for both updates by pacman and ISO.

Not sure if the error you are seeing is due to trying to go from 7.4 to 8.1

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:36 am 
Not upgrading, just trying to do a fresh install ...

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:38 pm 
I have seen this error a few times. The first time it ended up being a combination of the burner and a certain brand of media. Multiple burns with the same media from the same package would fail even though the md5 was good. Changed the media and was good to go. After that I switched to only using USB drives. So much quicker and way fewer failures. The second time had to do with some odd formatting on the destination drive. For some reason even though LH repartitions and reformats it still caused issues. Moving the drive to another machine and zeroing it out fixed it.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:21 pm 
I also had to reformat with a Live Linux, I think I used Gparted or maybe it was Ubuntu Live with Gparted . The LinHES format wasn't quite getting rid of everything. I had a failed install and was trying to re-install over it and the ugliness kept popping up through the "format".

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:42 pm 
A rather frustrating weekend: I burned several CDs on different machines and all resulted in the same error message. (I was also unable to create a bootable thumb drive, but that's another story). Meanwhile, a search on the error message led me to this post suggesting I'm not totally crazy. Now I wonder if there is a boot option that would allow me to enter the large-memory option?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:46 am 
The post you linked to talks about lilo while R8.x uses grub2. You could try the mem=YOURMEMORYSIZE boot option.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:07 am 
Does this provide any insight?

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=103858

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:23 am 
Thank you both, that did the trick. This is a 2GB machine, so at the installation screen, I hit the tab for options on the default, and added mem=1073741824 and it then continued with the installation! I had tried mem=2147483648 (i.e., 2GB), but that failed. Strange that the full 6GB worked on the referenced entry with nearly the same machine, but not on this one. I don't know where the boundary is for the memory, but I'm not THAT curious.

At any rate, I then tried to restore the backup, but try as I might, including all the suggestions I found here, I have not been able to get the web interface to recognize the uploaded backup file. Even chmod --reference=backup1 backupuploaded (where backkup1 was the single file in the dropdown, apparently created at installation). I finally opened a terminal on the machine and did
Code:
sudo lh_system_restore_job backup.2014-05-13_18-45.tgz partial
and that worked. Wouldn't work without the sudo part, though. But that was before I tried chown and chmod on the file, maybe it would have worked then (the file appears with http as the owner, rather than root).

At any rate, that part finally worked, and now I have the media file list in LinHES, but they're all greyed out. I put my original 7.4 drive back into the machine and did add_storage.py --no_destruction, but that only added the 4GB of free space, it still can't see the rest of the drive. So now my only problem, I hope, is how to restore the media files. Can I just copy them all into the media folder of the 8.1.1 install?

This hasn't been really easy, but I'm just amazed that it works at all. It's all magic to me. I'm totally impressed at all the work that goes into this, and all your efforts are truly appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:49 am 
add_storage.py only works with the first partition of a drive. The R7 install probably had your media on the third partition. So you can mount the third partition and then copy over the media files to the R8 drive or if you are going to leave the R7 hd in the box and don't care about reclaiming the R7 system space you could just add the third partition as a storege group.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:23 am 
Quote:
you could just add the third partition as a storege group

Yup, did that, all is well now! By the way, I had printed out a guide for adding a partition as a new storage group years ago. Fortunately, the procedure still works, but is there an updated version available somewhere?

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 10:37 am 
For mythtv storage groups: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Storage_Groups

In R8.x the add_storage.py utility adds the mountpoints to /data/storage using a unique name and then creates a symlink in the same directory as diskX where the X is a sequential number of disks added.