View unanswered posts    View active topics

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Go to page 1, 2  Next

Print view Previous topic   Next topic  
Search for:
 Post subject: R8 Upgrade Experience
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:03 pm 
I have just spent the weekend upgrading from 7.4 to R8.1.1 and the system is working in a fashion although it did take some work arounds. This is just a report of my ordeal. The upgrade was prompted by a failure (I/O errors on my secondary drive (/myth2) so I bought a new SSD and installed R8 onto it.

I dutifully followed the instructions in the wiki and installation went well. The web based restore successfully uploaded the backup file but the restore failed to find the new file. The only file listed in the pull-down menu was the one created by the install. After much mucking about I finally managed to restore manually using
Code:
/usr/LH/bin/lh_system_restore_job backup.file partial

I then reconnected back my HDD which contained /, /myth and swap partions. I then attempted add_storage.py –no_destruction but it connected to sdb1 which was the old / partition. It would be nice if in this step you could direct the command to the correct partition not just the whole disk. I then modified /etc/fstab to use UUID of sdb3 (old /myth partition). Storage groups did not find most directories due to expected new format so I changed storage groups paths to HDD to eliminate all errors.

On my previous versions I used shepherd for the EPG but I see it’s not yet available for R8 so I enabled EIT and will see how that goes. The sound works correctly and I was able to set up SSH successfully.

I am still having the following problems which I will keep working on. If anyone has any advice on any I would be most grateful.

1. The screen resolution seems to be fixed to 4 options determined by the machine. In my previous versions I spent quite a bit of time developing an xorg.conf that suited my TV. I tried copying the relevant bits from my previous config (modelines and options) to a new file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-user.conf but it seems to ignore it.

2. The mythtv-setup successfully found the 3 internal tuner cards and can see the 2 HDHR tuners but cannot detect their device number. I assume I will need to enter their ip addresses manually.

3. Although I had enabled xvnc in the mythtv menu complete with password, I was not able to connect by xvnc until I ran x11vnc on the myth box via ssh. I then got a warning about the dangers of running vnc without a password but it worked.

4. In the past I have always run the machine using ACPI wake. I enabled mythwelcome and checked the settings in mythtv-setup and mythwelcome-setup but the shutdown timer does not start when the machine is idle.

5. I copied my customised lirc file to /etc/lircrc but it seems to ignore it. After going over my previous notes I think I omitted a selection in the Service Menu which may solve it. I will try tonight. EDIT - I just checked and it is pointing to /var/run/lirc/lircd which I think is correct.

Overall I do like the look of the new version. One thing I have noticed is that it seems to have lost the option of "Record one showing every day" which is useful at the moment to catch the Tour de France highlights. Selecting "Record all showings" records multiple copies ot the same via on a multiplexed channel.

Richard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:04 pm 
Hello

1.) I think there is a trick to get it save you custom resolution, Go into nvidia-settings and save your setting to a file. Then append 20-automv.conf
2.) On my hdhome I have to manually put in the device number since it's a dual tuner
4.) Some good info historical info on mythwelcome can be found here

http://forum.linhes.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=23786&p=138103&hilit=mythwelcome#p138103

Thanks for sharing your experience

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:32 pm 
yes you are right Racerx I just had to do this with my new hardware to save the over scan compensation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:11 pm 
Thanks for your responses.

1. I am a little confused about what you mean with the xorg. If I run nvidia-settings I get the option of the 4 resolutions it decides. Are you saying I append the contents of this saved file into 20-automv.conf? Can I then add my customisations (modelines, options, etc.) to the file?

4. I think mythwelcome has come good in terms of shutting down. Perhaps it wasn't really idle even though it said so when I tested it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:14 pm 
yes and no the Nvidia-settings outputs a file with all the keyboard settings and everything. If you
Code:
 ls -lh /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
there are several files in there. I am assuming that each one is specific to different sections of the normal xorg.conf file. But the important part to know is that if you upgrade via the settings page or with sudo pacman -Syu it won't overwrite these files, but it will overwrite /etc/X11/xorg.conf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:21 pm 
So I end up with a /etc/X11/xorg.conf which then supersedes the files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ all of which will be ignored. Is that right?

I currently do not have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf. When I saved in nvidia-settings I needed to provide name and location. Default location was /home/mythtv/.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:14 pm 
Don't quote me on this but I think that the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is a psudo file created when you populate the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/**** files. I'm not a Linux genius or anything I've just been poking around for the past few days and that seems to be what is happening.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:55 pm 
1.) to clarify how it works

Code:
nvidia-settings

Nvidia X Server Settings

X Server information
X Server Display configuration
The layout will show the auto resolution
If you don't like it choose another resolution that works for you
Then, save to X Configuration File (just a dummy modeline file for you to get the info to append to the 20-automv,conf
Append the information to the end of this file
Code:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-automv.conf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:07 pm 
Well I have quite a bit of success.
1. By adding my bits to the 20-automv.conf file I can successfully modify the output but I am not getting it the it was before. The image only partly fills the screen and I have to use the TV zoom to fill it and then go back to normal for the GUI. I will keep trying new settings until it's right. Has anything change in this between R7 and R8?
2. Adding the IP address of the HDHR worked straight away. It's funny I don't remember doing that when I first got it.
3. No change to xvnc. I still need to kick it off by ssh before it will connect.
4. ACPI wake and mythwelcome functioning correctly. RacerX your advice about removing orphans was what was required.
5. The remote is now good. I change the /etc/lircrc to "include by customised file and then it was ok. I had put the instructions in my customised file as comments but who reads the instructions.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:39 pm 
Pretty big changes from R7 to R8

http://www.linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/R8

when you run

Code:
nvidia-settings

What resolution are you using? That could provide a clue? Are you using VGA or HDMI?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:27 am 
I've had that "tiny image" problem before If I tried to correct overscan with the tools in MythTV settings.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:54 am 
Another success. I fixed the display problem by cutting out a lot of the lines from my previous xorg.conf file. The main issue is I am forcing the TV to run in 1280x720 when nvidia thinks it should only be 1024x768 so I have to make it ignore the EDID and use my modelines. I don't know which line was causing the problem so I might try introducing slowly and see.

The unit is now functioning well. My next task is to get my regular-maintenance-on-shutdown script working for the new setup.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:22 am 
There are a couple of different ways to compensate for the 720p overscan.

Tweaking the modeline is like winning the lottery in my opinion.
I've used Matt's approach \mythtv\setup\apperance and adjusted to make it fit the screen better.
Also used the nvidia tool in Windows to adjust overscan with the keyboard arrows and it also works.

Also consider in XBMC there is an awesome tool to compensate for overscan. If you are interested watch this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DBgOpqZMuM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:31 am 
Sorry for the confusion I use Nvidia-Settings only since it doesn't have any weird side effects.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:05 pm 
As I mentioned previously I have been trying to get my automated maintenance on shutdown to work properly. Unfortunately I have discovered a perculiar effect. In mythwelcome --setup I change the Command to Shutdown to point to my shutdown_maint.sh script. On the first shutdown it functions correctly but something then overwrites the Command to Shutdown back to the original "sudo /sbin/poweroff".

Is this a bug?
Is there anyway to stop it?

I could always change the name of /etc/poweroff to something else and change my script name to /etc/poweroff but I would prefer not to do that as it's not very upgradable.

Go to page 1, 2  Next